C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L-46 engine install question

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2003, 04:19 PM
Burgundy 69
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default L-46 engine install question

As we (my mechanic and I) prepare for the installation of my new (well, rebuilt) engine, I have a few questions that I hope someone who has already done this can answer.

My 69 L-46 (originally) non A/C coupe has a NOM. I will soon be removing this motor and will replace it with a rebuilt "010" small block. The machinist is done with the block and I plan to pick it up and bring it to the garage this weekend.

Since I plan to rebuild to stock specifications, I have purchased all of the parts necessary to recreate a 69 L-46. Although I will be reusing the original exhaust manifold, valve covers and distributor, everything else on the block will be new. I have purchased new ignition shielding, heat shields, etc (the original shielding was lost when they pulled the engine back in the 70s).

It seems to me that it would be a lot easier to completely assemble the block, including the exhaust manifold, and all shielding and ignition wires prior to dropping it into the car.

Also, since I do not have an original block to compare, I am wondering if anyone can help with instructions/photos of the locations of the various wire brackets, clips and fastners for the ignition wires/shielding. I do have an assembly manual, but find it rather vague as to exact placement of these items.

Thanks.

Mark
Old 03-12-2003, 05:27 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: L-46 engine install question (Burgandy 69)

It would be easier on the back to assemble as much as possible before dropping it in. Just remember that the more stuff hanging on the engine is the more stuff that can get in the way as you guide it into place. Depending on how you plan to hook a chain to the engine, sometimes the chain can come into contact with accesories and possibly damage things. Sorry I can help you with pics or locations of wire shields. Maybe theres a vintage vette show near you and you could go have a look see. Find an all original 69 L46 and snap some photos. Good luck
Old 03-12-2003, 05:39 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also this might be of some help to you on the ignition wire shielding. Go to the general topics section and post an inquiry in the factory correct resto forum. Might get more action on that question there.
Old 03-12-2003, 05:59 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This pic was posted a while back, maybe it'll help you.

Old 03-12-2003, 09:02 PM
Burgundy 69
Pro

Default Re: L-46 engine install question (sb69coupe)

Thanks for the advice. I'll post this in Factory correct restoration.

Mark
Old 03-13-2003, 10:36 AM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 257 Posts

Default Re: L-46 engine install question

It seems to me that it would be a lot easier to completely assemble the block, including the exhaust manifold, and all shielding and ignition wires prior to dropping it into the car.
Mark,

I would agree with you... Much easier to have the heat shields, lower ignition shielding, and plug wires installed. As was noted in the other section, I'd leave the distributor, carburetor, alternator, and A.I.R. pump off until the engine was reinstalled (although I would probably have the brackets installed)... It is relatively easy to install those items after the engine is back in place and eliminates the possibility of damage.

Also, since I do not have an original block to compare, I am wondering if anyone can help with instructions/photos of the locations of the various wire brackets, clips and fastners for the ignition wires/shielding. I do have an assembly manual, but find it rather vague as to exact placement of these items.
This is a tough one... The AIM (Assembly Instruction Manual) is definitely the best resource here, but I agree that it can be difficult to follow in this instance. Some of the clips used to retain the plug wires were installed at the engine plant (Flint in your case) and as such, are not listed in the assembly manual. Other clips and shields were installed at St. Louis and will be located in the general section that shows how the base engine is dressed and installed (being a small block, your L-46 will be identical in this regard and therefore will not be referenced in the RPO section at the back of the manual). The ignition shielding itself was only installed when a radio was ordered... The installation procedure for the shielding is therefore outlined in the RPO section under "U69".

Unfortunately, there's a lot of "stuff" hanging off of a small block... Take your time and study the manual. With the engine out of the car it should be relatively easy to test fit parts to see how they line up.

Regards,
Old 03-13-2003, 10:46 AM
Burgundy 69
Pro

Default Re: L-46 engine install question (Rowdy Rat)

Thanks for your thoughts. Since the block is on a cradle, I do have the luxury of test fitting, etc before hand.

Mark

Get notified of new replies

To L-46 engine install question

Quick Reply: L-46 engine install question