C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VBP composite spring & 8" bolts question

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2003, 11:29 AM
4DLuvOfSpeed
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VBP composite spring & 8" bolts question

I've heard that the VBP composite rear spring increases clearance for wider tires; is this true? I installed 8" bolts and now the stock spring rubs against my 265 tires (which I expected). I'd prefer to keep my tire size (or maybe even go up to 275/60's) and go with the composite spring than keeping the old heavy steel spring and spending money on 255 (or narrower) tires.
To be honest, I don't think the comp. spring makes a big difference since the stock spring already sticks out very little past the bolts. The only way I can see it would increase clearance is if the bolt holes were further in, but then the bolts would be angled inwards. Anyway, if anyone knows if comp. springs do increase clearance please let me know. Thanks.
Old 03-12-2003, 11:40 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: VBP composite spring & 8" bolts question (4DLuvOfSpeed)

I think the spring may increase clearance a tiny bit between the end of the spring and the wheel, but we're talking tiny amounts here, something measured by sixteenths of an inch. My guess is that your spring bolts are rubbing on the tire on the bottom, correct? I don't think there's anything you could do about that other than maybe getting your ride height set where you like it, then cutting the bolts off right at the edge of the nut, then there wouldn't be any bolt sticking down.

-Justin
Old 03-12-2003, 01:44 PM
71roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: VBP composite spring & 8" bolts question (Dalannex)

I don't think the plain replacement spring will provide any more clearance. I've heard what some guys do (and maybe VBP too) is to cut one end of the spring off and drill a new bolt hole. Then they re-drill the centering hole in the middle of the spring.

Chris
Old 03-12-2003, 01:59 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Cut off the unused bolt ends per Dallanex or use a spacer to move the wheel out. VB can provide a shorter spring but it will have a higher rate.
255/60s were fine for my use.
Old 03-13-2003, 09:06 AM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Re: VBP composite spring & 8" bolts question (flynhi)

I run the VB 360lb composit spring and 8" bolts with 295 50's and have no problems with clearance.The spring arches are totally different when compared to the stock steel spring.By the way I've run 255 60's,and 275 60's with the same setup prior to my offset T-Arms and new rims.Don't cut the bolts unless you never plan on changing the ride height. The extra inch or two works wonders for handling and looks.(Lets you drop the rear and close up the fenderwell gap over the tire.) :cheers:
Old 03-13-2003, 09:44 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: VBP composite spring & 8" bolts question (The Money Pit)

The advice I've gotten from several who know Vettes is that you should not lower the rear beyond the point where the half shaft is horizontal. In other words, the pumpkin end should be even with or slightly above the wheel end of the half shaft.
This meant that I had about 1.5" of unused bolt end that I would never use. So I cut it off.
Old 03-13-2003, 12:12 PM
4DLuvOfSpeed
Advanced

Default Re: VBP composite spring & 8" bolts question (The Money Pit)

Well, the problem is not the bolts rubbing; it's the tip of the springs rubbing against the sidewalls. The nuts are already all the way at the tips of the bolts so there's nothing to cut anyway. On the brighter side, I let the car sit and settle for a day and yesterday I noticed that the springs don't rub anymore - there's not enough space to even stick my pinky in there, but hey... at least I can push the car around :D Another thing, tires are 265/50's, chosen by Bubba. Hopefully the taller 265/ or 275/60s I'll be buying have sidewalls that aren't as rounded. After what Money Pit said, I think I'll go with VBP spring and 275s. I'm not even worried about this anymore; after failing miserably last night to get any pressure in the braking system this seems just like a minor inconvenience :mad: But that's another topic...

BTW, thank you all for your help :cool:
Old 03-13-2003, 01:05 PM
71roadster
Burning Brakes

If it were me, I WOULD worry about this, VERY MUCH! Those 15 inch tires really move around a lot when you corner, expecially like on and off ramps. The lateral forces can and probably will push the side wall into the end of the spring which will quickly rip the tire apart, causing a blowout. I wouldn't want to be in the car when that happens. If you are running a steel spring, it should be fairly flat with the cars full weight on it (so should a fiberglass spring, but I have yet to see one that is) and not even coming close to interfering with the tire.

I sent my first composite spring back to VBP because it had too much arch. The replacement does too, but not nearly so bad as the first one. Personally, I think VBP quality is very poor in this area. Be aware also, that fiberglass springs wont 'settle', ever.

safety first, especially your passengers!

Chris

[Modified by 71roadster, 10:07 AM 3/13/2003]
Old 03-13-2003, 03:59 PM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Re: VBP composite spring & 8" bolts question (71roadster)

Once you put the car on the ground, get in it and move in 2ft and the car will settle. The spring will clear. Spring are supposed to be arched not flat. Normally the steel springs have more of an arch than the fiberglass springs.
Old 03-13-2003, 05:12 PM
71roadster
Burning Brakes

Default Re: VBP composite spring & 8" bolts question (Van Steel)

VANSTEEL,

I don't get it. EVERY steel spring I have ever looked at has been virtually flat (when installed and car on the ground). The arch in the two fiberglass springs I have used has been excessive. The first one, even with the longer bolts, the car looked jacked up and the ends of the bolts were too close to the ground. A dangerous situation. NO WAY it is supposed to be that way. VBP took it back no problem. The one they sent me is flatter when installed but not nearly so much as the steel springs intsalled.

Chris
Old 03-14-2003, 05:18 PM
4DLuvOfSpeed
Advanced

Default Re: VBP composite spring & 8" bolts question (71roadster)

If it were me, I WOULD worry about this, VERY MUCH!
I'm not going to drive it like that. What I meant was that I'm not worried about my ability to fix it the problem once I get the right parts, as opposed to the brakes which right now are kicking my behind :mad :banghead: :cuss

Get notified of new replies

To VBP composite spring & 8" bolts question

Quick Reply: VBP composite spring & 8" bolts question