C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Show mw your curves............

Old 03-12-2003, 09:18 AM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Show me your curves............distributer that is.

The distributer recurve saga continues.The stock weights and light spring arangement I now have gives me an initial of 8 degrees at idle,34 degrees at around 3500(by ear,can't see the tach with my head under the hood)
The problem I have is when the engine is cold,the idle is fine,when hot,the idle climbs up to a grand.If you shift into neutral it goes to 1500.Also I notice a slight ping when climbing steep hills after extended highway cruising at 75 mph.This is the least of my worries.
I removed the vacuum advance and plugged the hose for an experiment,and the idle stays right where I want it.
Here in lies the question. Should I change the vacuum source to a ported source,and tweak the adjustable vacuum can for less advance?(I guess that's how it works.)Or,should I replace the light weight springs to a stronger set,and run more initial timing to reach my desired total timing?
For a little background on this the recurve kit is from Summit,which now that I've got it would not recommend.The weights that come with the kit look like poopie,stock quality is far superior.The adjustable vacuum can is a Crane unit that a mechanic installed and neglected to give me the springs that came with it.So the mismatch of parts and lack of experience on my behalf leads me to the real experts.You guys!
Anybody running a 427BB please chime in.Our bore/strokes are pretty close to the same. :grouphug:

[Modified by The Money Pit, 3:44 PM 3/12/2003]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Show mw your curves............