C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

POR-15 Frame.. Increase or Decrease value of car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2003, 09:05 AM
Koz

Default POR-15 Frame.. Increase or Decrease value of car?

While I'm in there.. :rolleyes: since the whole azz end is open while I wait for my differential to be returned I was thinking about painting the frame too. It's got some rust but not flaking through. Looks pretty good for a 23yr old car.. I know it's not a "collectors" car just yet.. but maybe someday.. Would painting the frame or putting something as perminent as Por-15 on it lower it's value? I know it will be worth more with a solid frame so I'm leaning towards using it.. just curious on everyone's thoughts about it.. Also, what color would you paint the frame.. POR-15 gloss to preserve but then what? Thanks! :cheers:

Also, do you have to remove the transmission cross member since it bolts to the side rails? If you paint it in place will you ever be able to remove it when needed? What about lag support bolts for brake lnes and exhaust hangers.. Remove before painting? If POR-15 gets in the holes will the lag bolt be able to cut through the POR-15? :confused:

[Modified by Koz, 9:15 AM 3/12/2003]
Old 03-12-2003, 09:19 AM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Default Re: POR-15 Frame.. Increase or Decrease value of car? (Koz)

I do not think it would hurt the car unless you plan on going for a NCRS award. I honestly feel it would help the car, and keep any possible frame rusting problems from popping up of you.
Old 03-12-2003, 09:22 AM
Rubyred
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same question a couple of years ago and decided to go the POR-15 route for both the 1963 and 1975. Both cars are drivers and not NCRS/Bloomington quality cars (which is fine with me). I reasoned that anyone wanting to do a correct restoration would strip the frame anyway. In the meantime the frame would be protected.

By the way, I used the primer rather than black colored POR-15 so I could tell where the paint was missing as it was applied. I then used 2 coats of Eastwood chassis black. The Eastwood product is formulated to have a little "give" to absorb rocks.

I merely brushed it on and was pleased with the finish. Both products level well and I could control the application.

Hope this helps.

[Modified by Rubyred, 8:23 AM 3/12/2003]
Old 03-12-2003, 09:23 AM
Chris@VetteFinders
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: POR-15 Frame.. Increase or Decrease value of car? (Sigforty)

I agree with Sigforty. If it is an original car, it would be a devaluing change. But when would you need to POR15 an original car in good shape anyway?

If you have a car that need major work that POR-15 is appropriate for, it would increase the value because the next guy knows the rust isn't coming back!
Old 03-12-2003, 09:49 AM
Koz

Default Re: POR-15 Frame.. Increase or Decrease value of car? (Chris@VetteFinders)

I agree with Sigforty. If it is an original car, it would be a devaluing change. But when would you need to POR15 an original car in good shape anyway?
It's a 23yr old car.. and.. well.. because.. :p:
In my case the exhaust, spring, rear diff and t-arms are all out. Everything is open which would make doing the back end easier now. I can see the side rails (rust colored) under the rocker panels so I planned on painting them anyway.. Just wondering.. if it's lasted 23yrs as is.. will I be decreasing value instead of adding...

Rubyred: Where do you purchase Eastwood Chasis Black paint? Sounds like a winner! :cheers:
Old 03-12-2003, 10:27 AM
RCB69L36
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rubyred: Where do you purchase Eastwood Chasis Black paint? Sounds like a winner! :cheers:
Go directly to Eastwood's site at http://www.eastwoodco.com/

Search for chassis paint and voila!!

:thumbs:
Old 03-12-2003, 10:39 AM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldnt worry about it. POR-15 will lose you points in an NCRS meet but it should not effect real value by any amount that you would care about. If some buyer came along and offered you some rediculous offer because you have better protection for your frame than the factory offered - tell him to go "**** up a rope".

I'm sorry but the whole concept that to maintain optimum value, i must maintain all my crayon marks on the frame, embrace overspray and misaligned panels and otherwise celebrate spotty quality control just makes me :U

I'm not trying to incite anything here, but if you feel that your frame is going to be best protected by POR-15 then by all means. Only the most **** collector is going to give a wet slap what you painted your frame with, short of day-glo tempra paints.

Besides, you can POR-15 it and then paint over it with your favorite crappy flat black paint to appease him. :lol: :rant:
Old 03-13-2003, 01:02 PM
carl a
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: POR-15 Frame.. Increase or Decrease value of car? (fauxrs)

i por-15 my frame and then went over it with frame paint . i also z barted the inside of the frame-could get my hands on a z bart tool to spray the inside with por so i went the z bart route---remember frames are 3500-and the'll rust sitting in the garage---carl

Get notified of new replies

To POR-15 Frame.. Increase or Decrease value of car?

Quick Reply: POR-15 Frame.. Increase or Decrease value of car?