C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(OT)? Consumer Reports Top 10 most influential vehicles in last 50 years

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 09:30 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default (OT)? Consumer Reports Top 10 most influential vehicles in last 50 years

Go figure it that a BMW was #1 & the Corvette was #2. Maybe the *DINKS* might go with the *Bummer*, but not for pure enthusiasts to the trends across the years. Thhhhhh!!! to Consumer Reports.

The rest of the list:
#3 - Dodge Caravan :skep:
#4 - Ford F-Series Pickup :yesnod:
#5 - Ford Taurus :rofl:
#6 - Ford Mustang :cool:
#7 - Jeep Cherokee :sleep:
#8 - Toyota :eek:
#9 - Volkswagon Rabbit :lolg:
#10 - Volkswagon Beetle :p:

[Modified by bgrice, 2:31 AM 3/12/2003]
Old 03-11-2003, 09:38 PM
SharkAttack
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Re: (OT)? Consumer Reports Top 10 most influential vehicles in last 50 years (bgrice)

Naturally, I too feel the Corvette should be #1. Regarding #3-10, I question their definition of "influential". Who are what is it influencing? Those who wrote this article? :lol:
Old 03-11-2003, 09:42 PM
QuickVet
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: (OT)? Consumer Reports Top 10 most influential vehicles in last 50 years (SharkAttack)

:skep: :skep: :skep: :leaving:
Old 03-11-2003, 09:47 PM
trw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: (OT)? Consumer Reports Top 10 most influential vehicles in last 50 years (bgrice)

Makes you wonder. Corvette the only GM product to influence people.

At least Rustang was 6.

:D
Terry
Old 03-11-2003, 10:53 PM
Tom T
Burning Brakes

well I'm happy...

Besides having a Vette, I also own a 2002 3 Series Coupe which is a grandchild of the #1 named BMW, which is the 2002 model which is generally considered the first ever sports sedan model. Take the list for what its worth, but I do agree with most of them except the VW Rabbit. I would have also considered one of the GM muscle cars from the mid-late 60's as a trend setter. What first comes to my mind is the '64 GTO which kind of ushered in the Muscle Car Era.
Old 03-11-2003, 11:28 PM
WATTAC
Racer

My local news station reported Corvette as #1. Were they in error??????

Andy
Old 03-12-2003, 03:05 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: (OT)? Consumer Reports Top 10 most influential vehicles in last 50 years (WATTAC)

#1 = C1
#2 = C2
#3 = C3
#4 = C4
#5 = C5

That should just about do it for my list. :lol:
Old 03-12-2003, 05:22 AM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

Beetles (I like bugs better) are very cool cars! I saw a show where a guy dropped a SBC in one! You can do anything with them! :thumbs:
Old 03-12-2003, 05:29 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Go figure it that a BMW was #1
Did they specify which Bimmer or was is just BMW in general?!
Old 03-12-2003, 10:27 AM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go figure it that a BMW was #1 & the Corvette was #2. Maybe the *DINKS* might go with the *Bummer*, but not for pure enthusiasts to the trends across the years. Thhhhhh!!! to Consumer Reports.

The rest of the list:
#3 - Dodge Caravan :skep:
#4 - Ford F-Series Pickup :yesnod:
#5 - Ford Taurus :rofl:
#6 - Ford Mustang :cool:
#7 - Jeep Cherokee :sleep:
#8 - Toyota :eek:
#9 - Volkswagon Rabbit :lolg:
#10 - Volkswagon Beetle :p:

[Modified by bgrice, 2:31 AM 3/12/2003]
Look at it for what it says, not from an auto enthusiast perspective, they didnt say these were the top 10 cars ever or the best 10 cars. Influential -

the Dodge Caravan was the sole reason for the :skep: 'craze' of the minivan over a decade ago.

the Ford F series is probably the best selling truck of all time (if you believe Ford Propaganda)

the Taurus was the first 'soap bubble' car that stressed aerodynamics over anything else and it was not very long before every car on the road looked like a variation - I think that defines influential.

The Ford Mustang was the originator of the 'Pony Car' - nuff said

The Jeep Cherokee :skep: I doubt this one very much

Toyota ???? just its existance??? :lol: :lol: :lol: dont make me laugh (too late)

Rabbit - maybe among 16 year old girls -not many else

Beetle - very influential - was the single best selling car in history probably.

I am very sceptical of BMW @ #1, for the most part it is out of reach of the average person, they originated very little - Mercedes would be far more influential if you ask me, just by dint of the safety features they invented and used early on.

Corvette, well how can I say no :yesnod: but in truth, apart from poorly designed vacuum accessories, there hasnt been a lot of earth shaking innovations out of corvette. As the only 'True" american sports car, there is some influence there of course.

so some of them I believe....I dont like many of them, dont agree with all of them, but some of those cars were quite influential.
Old 03-12-2003, 12:36 PM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,450 Likes on 755 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Actually the last thread didn't see understand the "Rabbit", but if you remeber in the mid 70s it was the first high mileage car with that basic kind of shape. that car apppears to have influenced Omin/Horizen, Honda Accord, Chevette etc. At one point in the late 70s/early 80s there were tons of thsoe little hatch back cars on the road, and the Rabbit kind of rang in that era.
Old 03-12-2003, 12:49 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Default Re: (OT)? Consumer Reports Top 10 most influential vehicles in last 50 years (fauxrs)

The Jeep Cherokee :skep: I doubt this one very much.
This started SUV popularity. This, along with the GMC Scout & Jimmy were the first of the 4-wheel drive family orientated vehicles. VERY INFLUENTIAL!!
Eddie
Old 03-12-2003, 04:18 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Default Re: (OT)? Consumer Reports Top 10 most influential vehicles in last 50 years (Silvr77)

I'll concede that - i was thinking cj myself
Old 03-12-2003, 04:36 PM
PrarieShark
Melting Slicks

Default Re: (OT)? Consumer Reports Top 10 most influential vehicles in last 50 years (fauxrs)

I would have thought that the K cars would made it on the list. :skep:
Old 03-12-2003, 05:46 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: (OT)? Consumer Reports Top 10 most influential vehicles in last 50 years (gliot1)

Yeh, sure the VW .....noisey assed crap that did NOTHING but fuel economy...no heater, no a/c...no....well nothing, really...just cheep and sounded like it too......that's all...looked stupid, honestly...in reality...give in supporters...IN YOUR HEART you know it looks stupid....

VW follows up with..??? the Ragbit...ok...another stupid looking car with nothing but fuel economy...BUT....burns more oil than gasoline, and with a stinky flair too....black/blue smoke out the butt of every one of them....

BMW 2002, a homely looking little car with a 4 cyl hemi headed engine that could scoot ok for it's era....
still can't forgive the looks though...just plain BORING....

come think of it....so is CU....but that's another issue.....

GENE

Get notified of new replies

To (OT)? Consumer Reports Top 10 most influential vehicles in last 50 years

Quick Reply: (OT)? Consumer Reports Top 10 most influential vehicles in last 50 years