C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AUTOCROSS HOW TO GET STARTED???????????

Old 03-11-2003, 11:27 AM
Corvettelvr73
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default AUTOCROSS HOW TO GET STARTED???????????

I went to the sports car club of america website and there are so many different things to sign up for and so many different forms to fill out. What is the easiest way to get started in some fun weekend autocrossing? :confused:
Old 03-11-2003, 12:22 PM
71roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: AUTOCROSS HOW TO GET STARTED??????????? (Corvettelvr73)

forget SCCA for the moment, they will inundate you with rules! Check the events section of the forum for your area or contact some local corvette clubs. All you really need is a helmet. They often have loaners, but those are a little crusty, if you know what I mean. And then just show up. Oh, remove anything that is rolling around loose in the car too. Its simple and fun. And if you ask nicely, maybe one of the old pro's will let you ride along. Either way, it is helpful to get there early enough to walk the track. Listen to what people are saying about entry and exit lines, etc. You may want to bring a lawn chair, some lunch, and something to read too, there is a lot of waiting around.

have fun
Chris
Old 03-11-2003, 12:27 PM
1LE
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best thing to do is see if there is a local SCCA club in your area. Contact them, find out when their next membership meeting is or there next Autox.

Show up and someone will gladly explain autocrossing to you. If you go out to the national sight, you should be able to sight maps, then goto SOLOII regional schedules, go to the bottom of the page, and go to REGL/DIVL SITES. This will give you all of the regional websites. You should be in the Southeast Division,

Good luck.
Old 03-11-2003, 12:53 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just show up. The first time, tell 'em your new and they'll help you get going. Club events are generally low key and fun, and SCCA gets a little more serious, but they usually have a large turnout and will have a class for your car.

DEFINITELY remove all loose objects, make sure you have good brakes, that all your mechanicals are in order (like no loose batteries, catch tanks, etc..), and go have some fun. First one I went to I just made some slow passes and got the hang of it. It was a hoot! Go for it!

Hans
Old 03-11-2003, 01:54 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Re: AUTOCROSS HOW TO GET STARTED??????????? (Wrencher)

:withstupid:
just show up. they'll help you out, except for the portland area SCCA. they suck.
Old 03-11-2003, 02:30 PM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

Once you find an autocross and your car in good working order you might ask these guys what kind of tire pressure they are running in your area with similar tires. Traction is key (you will probably have more power than is needed). And without upgrading to 18 inch wheels and modern sticky rubbers having the right tire pressure can be a big FREE improvement. The last autocross I attended the WRX's where waxing all of us in vettes, new and old. But check it out, it's a blast!
Old 03-11-2003, 03:28 PM
sammyb
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: AUTOCROSS HOW TO GET STARTED??????????? (tshort)

Yes, just go to the SCCA website, find the local region, and either go to their Web site or call one of the contacts.

Before showing up, make sure anything that is not secured by screws or bolts is out of your car (like floormats) and make sure you have a battery hold-down, and your throttle return spring is good. Also, if you're leaking fluids, they won't let you run. You'll also want to check the site to see what class you run in. Many regions have special classes, such as Houston, where I ran my '99 C5 Corvette in STB (street tire B -- with all Z cars, Corvettes, Panteras(none ever showed) and Ferrari 308s -- all cars running full street-oriented tires instead of DOT racing tires.) The reason you want to look is that some regions (like Houston) run two staging times during the day -- and your start time depends on class. If you don't know which class, just show up in the morning.

So show up, say "I'm here to race, but I never have before" and as long as you have a valid license, a safe car and the money, you'll be fine.

I loved autocrossing...best starter racing!
Old 03-11-2003, 04:06 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,326 Likes on 1,056 Posts

Default Re: AUTOCROSS HOW TO GET STARTED??????????? (sammyb)

I would find a local Vette club in your area and go to a meeting. Just ask around and they will point out who's into racing and it really helps to have someone kind of take you under their wing and help you out. I started out the same way as you about 20 years ago. I met a great bunch of guys who showed me what mods worked for them. It's so much easier to see how it's really done rather than try to think up everything on your own.

I've never had a problem with SCCA. Actually around here the SCCA club hold a drivers school at the first event of the year. It's a full day of instruction and driving both as a rider and as a driver. You get to do some fun things like 100 foot diameter skid pan with timers to tell how many actual "G's" Your car is capable of. Your even awarded a nice Certificate for Solo II

I've been involved as an instructor over the years at the local Porshe club & SCCA events.

It's good to see young people like yourself breaking out of the "Ricer Hall of Shame!":)
Old 03-11-2003, 04:57 PM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: AUTOCROSS HOW TO GET STARTED??????????? (gkull)

Here is my similar question: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=507209

Still coming down off the adrenaline! It was great, I'm going to post my thoughts and some pictures (some of which l98Driver Dave so generously took for me) soon. Learn everything you can by reading online and elsewhere if you can, it was definitely nice not being completely lost as to what is going on. (I'm 18, there was a wide variety of ages at my first event) Good luck, have fun!

-Chris

Get notified of new replies

To AUTOCROSS HOW TO GET STARTED???????????

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AUTOCROSS HOW TO GET STARTED???????????