C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Free-flow CAT

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 08:58 AM
bfrance
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Free-flow CAT

Where is the best value to purchase a free-flow CAT converter for my 1980? What is the part number if you know? I plan to do a replacement this spring, but the prices in Eckler's seems a little high. Thanks for the input.
Old 03-11-2003, 12:10 PM
Gator81
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Free-flow CAT (bfrance)

Hey,
I got mine from "Products For Power" (PFP) a few years ago. It was about $150 installed. I think PFP is made by Walker, but I'm not sure. It made a HUGE difference in the performance of the car - just an amazing increase in torque. The old stock cat must have been at least half plugged.

The "installer" was an idiot. Rather than unbolting the flanges, or even cutting the old cat out between the flanges with a torch, and welding the new one in, leaving the flanges in place, the idiot torched outside the flanges. That is, he torched the flanges off both front and rear Y pipes. Then he welded the new cat in place. So I now have a one-piece welded exhaust, from the manifolds to the mufflers. When I swapped engines, I dropped a motor mount bolt into the open downpipe at the manifold. I had to raise the car far enough to drop the entire exhaust system and drag it out from under the car so I could get the bolt. What a PITA. :mad

I've heard that the units sold by Mid-America are good. Price is OK.

I think the best you can probably get is Random Technologies, but they're a little more expensive.

Good luck! :seeya

Quick Reply: Free-flow CAT