C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No oil to the valve train

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 08:23 AM
lil ski
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No oil to the valve train

I started my engine for the first time last night and I'm not getting very much oil to the valve train. The oil presure gage says I have 40lbs. I dont know where to go now. Its a 350 in a 1974 any ideas where to start looking. I think its time to rebuild. Thanks! :smash:
Old 03-11-2003, 08:38 AM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: No oil to the valve train (lil ski)

I don't think it's time for a rebuild. Prolly just gonna take a minute for the oil to get back up to the top of the engine since it hasn't been running for a while.

Brett :thumbs:
Old 03-11-2003, 10:16 AM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I started my engine for the first time last night and I'm not getting very much oil to the valve train. The oil presure gage says I have 40lbs. I dont know where to go now. Its a 350 in a 1974 any ideas where to start looking. I think its time to rebuild. Thanks! :smash:
Have you removed the valve covers to see how much oil is getting up there or are you simply hearing a lot of claking from the valvetrain. It shouldnt take more than a second or two for oil to get to the top end of the engine - unless it has all drained back into the engine in which case you add another second or two - anything approaching a minute is wayyy tooo long.

If you havent removed the valve covers I suggest you do, disconnect the coil wire and have a friend crank the motor so you can see if any oil get to the top end.

Is this a brand new motor? Solid or hydraulic lifters?did you install oil restrictors for any reason? also the pipe plugs in the front oil boss (or is it rear?)can be installed too deeply cutting off oil flow .since the oil pressure gauge connects at the top of the supply gallery, it really isnt much help .
Old 03-11-2003, 10:26 AM
lil ski
Instructor

Default Re: No oil to the valve train (fauxrs)

Valve covers are off and it is not a new motor and it has hydraulic lifters. The moter is tapping (comming from the front of the motor) I was thinking it has a stuck lifter. I havent run it for more than a minute. I made a priming tool for the oil pump and will try running it tonight. The car sat for a few years before i got it. The guy said he ran it once a year but I dont think he did because the gas was so bad it was even hard to light the burn pile with it. I cleaned the tank, lines and carb.
Old 03-11-2003, 12:10 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Don't sweat it could take a minute or so running before you see any oil then it might only trickle out, that"s all mine does, just enough to keep the ball and pushrod end lubricated, comes out faster if you rev it up but I don't recommend doing that with the vavle covers off :D
Old 03-11-2003, 03:51 PM
boredsoIstrokedit
Racer

I have seen oil get awfully gummy after sitting. Saw one car that the oil was dug out with a coat hangar after the car sat for a couple years. Not kidding either, a coat hangar. I hope you changed the oil first. Good luck. Oh, one way to check closer is to use a cutout valve cover. Put a towel over the slot and give it some juice. Not real messy, but your manifolds will probably smoke a little. :flag
Old 03-11-2003, 05:41 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just one clicking is not a problem. Stuck lifters happen all the time in older engines that sit for any length of time. It's due to the lifter bleeding all the way down (think holding a valve open for months), and any varnish/sludge/goo will make it hang up. Running it a while 'till it is warmed up should do it. Try not to buzz it to high 'till it goes away...

If you had a real oiling problem, all of 'em would be clattering.

Hans

[Modified by Wrencher, 2:42 PM 3/11/2003]
Old 03-12-2003, 06:15 AM
lil ski
Instructor

Default Re: No oil to the valve train (Wrencher)

Thanks for all your help. This Forum is a great place!!! :thumbs: :flag

Get notified of new replies

To No oil to the valve train

Quick Reply: No oil to the valve train