C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning/Painting Frame with the Body On?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 12:01 AM
Zack Wenning
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cleaning/Painting Frame with the Body On?

I was thinking of using POR-15 products; Marine Clean, Metal Ready, then Gloss Black paint with a topcoat of spraypaint. I plan to wire brush everything I can get to first.
Do you have any suggestions on how to clean/paint/protect the inside of the frame? I know there is some rust in there that is flaking off and I want to stop it from getting anyworse.
I was thinking of renting a pressure washer to spray out the inside and then spraying por15 inside with a lawn & garden sprayer.
Thanks guys.
Old 03-11-2003, 12:14 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Cleaning/Painting Frame with the Body On? (Zack Wenning)

That's exactly what I did, buy a very cheap sprayer and throw it away after you are through. Place cans under the holes in the frame and catch the paint that runs out, strain it and put it back in the sprayer and spray it again.
Spend alot of timr spraying into the frame with high pressure water and degreaser, blow out the frame with air and make sure it is dry before you spray the paint inside the frame.
Old 03-11-2003, 12:29 AM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Cleaning/Painting Frame with the Body On? (Smokehouse69)

I hear everyone going with the POR-15 products. It must be worth something to see so many going with it. My frame had no rust at all since it was replaced before I got this vette, but nor was it protected at all that I could see. I jacked the car up and undercoated it with 3M Coating 8881 except for the front end parts & rear(they were just updated) and I will be doing them also. That 3M coating is by far the best I have seen with it's rubberized components that resist water. If you are looking for *Show & Go* not the way to go as it is not flashy. Can anyone give me a good reason why POR-15 is better in my case?
Old 03-11-2003, 10:54 AM
Zack Wenning
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Smokehouse, your idea was great. I 'm definately going to put cans under the holes in the frame, strain the paint and then reuse it. That POR 15 paint is so expensive, there is no sense in wasting any of it.
Old 03-11-2003, 11:36 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Cleaning/Painting Frame with the Body On? (bgrice)

Undercoating if applied properly will probably do an adequate job protecting the frame. My car was undercoated at some time in the past and I spent 2 months scraping it off the frame and crossmembers, the metal underneath was in pristine condition, but the underside of the car looked like AZZ! Undercoating is effected by oil and other petrochemicals and gets soft and collects dirt and road grime and can peel off, where POR15 is a hard slick finish that is uneffected by any of those things. It also binds to the metal chemically where undercoat just seals the surface.
Old 03-11-2003, 01:04 PM
DaddyO
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long do you think it would take to do the frame (wire brush and por-15) with the body on?
Old 03-11-2003, 03:49 PM
Koz

Default Re: Cleaning/Painting Frame with the Body On? (DaddyO)

Will you be painting the brake lines and basically everything in the way? Using a garden sprayer will basically do that. What about coating bolts in the frame.. Once coated it doesn't sound like you will be able to get them out! :eek: Be careful what you paint with that stuff..

Also, unless you can encapsulate the entire frame isn't it still going to rust.. ?

[Modified by Koz, 3:50 PM 3/11/2003]
Old 03-11-2003, 11:01 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got mine way up on jackstands and took a power washer and wire brush underneath. I then let it sit out in the sun for a week to dry real good. I then took a wire brush and hit any surface rust spots. Frame was in great shape so it wasn't so bad. I then worked my way from one end to the other and used Rustoleum on mine. I probably would have used POR-15 but I didn't know much about it 4 years ago when I did it.

I was, and still am, very happy with the results though.

Old 03-12-2003, 09:32 AM
Koz

Spend alot of timr spraying into the frame with high pressure water and degreaser, blow out the frame with air and make sure it is dry before you spray the paint inside the frame.
Found this on the POR-15 web site. :cheers:

APPLYING POR-15 TO SEASONED OR RUSTED METAL: First, wire brush loose rust and scale. Then remove any grease or oil with POR-15 MARINE=CLEAN and prep with POR-15 METAL-READY. DO NOT USE SOLVENT- BASED CLEANERS

Also:
Apply in thin coats, 1 to 2 mil thickness. Minimum 2 coats.
Topcoat when first coat is dry but with slight finger-drag remaining, usually 4-5 hours.

If your using a garden sprayer and catching dripping paint it sounds like your putting on way too much! :nono:

[Modified by Koz, 9:37 AM 3/12/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Cleaning/Painting Frame with the Body On?

Quick Reply: Cleaning/Painting Frame with the Body On?