C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoke!! Thats not good....Need some help with power window question

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 11:45 PM
Gotta Fix my '76
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke!! Thats not good....Need some help with power window question

Ok, so I finally get my battery back into the vette, and I want to make sure I haven't reversed or flipped the power window switches in the process of restoring the car, so I turn the key and flip the switches and the right side drags a little but works (I think it was slow before) and the left side switch started smoking. When I moved it up or down to operate it smoke came out from it....What could be causing this? could two of the wires (positive & Negative) be touching on the inside?? any suggestions?? Is this a common problem?

Thanks for any help... :smash: :smash: :smash:
Old 03-11-2003, 01:15 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: Smoke!! Thats not good....Need some help with power window question (Gotta Fix my '76)

No its not common. Did the window work. If so the wires are not crossed.
Old 03-11-2003, 06:02 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Smoke!! Thats not good....Need some help with power window question (Gotta Fix my '76)

You are not supposed to let the smoke out of electrical stuff. :lol: :lol: Seriously though... If either or both motors have bad grounds, that will cuause high resistance in the circuit and high current draw through the switches, Much as a bad ground on one tail light will cause the other light to glow dim. Make sure the motors have the ground wire hooked up and it is making a GOOD ground.

[Modified by silvervetteman, 6:03 AM 3/11/2003]
Old 03-11-2003, 12:25 PM
Gotta Fix my '76
Instructor

Good advice,
Yes the window did work before and should be working now??? So, I just pulled off the bottom of the switch to see if I can see where it might be coming from and it looks like its coming from inside the switch, the wires are all hooked up correctly...So, I don't know...Do power window switches go bad?
Old 03-11-2003, 03:33 PM
boredsoIstrokedit
Racer

If you have the switch unhooked, and can see the harness receptical test various parts of the circut and more importantly the switch to make sure the ohm's are correct, and that 12 v is coming where it needs to be. The other is to jump the connections with a jumper wire. Make sure you use a large enough wire, I would say no sm than 14 guage. If it works, check the ohm on the switch with a multitester. Someone else may be able to tell you what ohm's you should be looking for. Also, make sure you are jumping the right wires to the right wires, or you may have more problems. If you don't have a multitester, you can use a testlight to test the switch.
Old 03-11-2003, 09:11 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: Smoke!! Thats not good....Need some help with power window question (boredsoIstrokedit)

If the motor works in both directions but is just slow. There is probably nothing wrong with the switch. The motor is probably drawing too much current, because it needs work or maybe the regulator needs some attention. Just a note, the regulator has a spring on it that helps raise the window. If this is broken, it will be very slow and will cause the switch to heat. If you have sprayed WD 40 or something like that into the switch it will smoke.

Get notified of new replies

To Smoke!! Thats not good....Need some help with power window question

Quick Reply: Smoke!! Thats not good....Need some help with power window question