C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preparation for decal placement, a couple of questions please.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 07:20 PM
nada
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preparation for decal placement, a couple of questions please.

I'm getting ready to put new decals on the air cleaner top and the side. Also the emissions decal on the area behind the power brake booster. I've cleaned the areas but they had wax (air cleaner), Armoral, and possible engine oil vapor from the engine compartment. I'm concerned about the decals not sticking. What product or procedure has worked for ya'll in prepping the areas so that the decals will stick?

Thanks, Rick in Tennessee

Old 03-10-2003, 08:35 PM
The Dude
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Preparation for decal placement, a couple of questions please. (Rick Church)

Laquer thinner?
Acetone?
Yeah, both of those will remove the paint. But the decals will stick, dammit.

You could also try straight, undiluted Simple Green. That works pretty good...
Old 03-10-2003, 09:02 PM
TNT
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Preparation for decal placement, a couple of questions please. (Rick Church)

Rick, go to your local automotive paint store and purchase [PPG DX-330 or dupont prep sol] clean up these areas a couple of times and remember to wipe up the residue, don't let the cleaner dry on the surface! Now, if you don't have a heat gun, go and get your wife's hair dryer and really warm up the surface and the decal to really get a good STICK!
After all this prep and work it's still common to get a little wrinkling on the edges because of the high temperature in the engine compartment!! Thad
Old 03-10-2003, 09:05 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Preparation for decal placement, a couple of questions please. (TNT)

Rick, go to your local automotive paint store and purchase [PPG DX-330 or dupont prep sol] clean up these areas a couple of times and remember to wipe up the residue, don't let the cleaner dry on the surface! Now, if you don't have a heat gun, go and get your wife's hair dryer and really warm up the surface and the decal to really get a good STICK!
After all this prep and work it's still common to get a little wrinkling on the edges because of the high temperature in the engine compartment!! Thad
That will work or you can use 3M Weatherstrip adhesive remover. It will remove any grease or dirt but not harm the paint.
Old 03-10-2003, 10:09 PM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

Default Re: Preparation for decal placement, a couple of questions please. (vettfixr)

this is what i do...
every workday...all day long...
i make and apply decals and have been doing so for more years than i care to count...
do exactly what TNT and/or Vettfixr recomended and you will have success...
you can take that to the bank... :yesnod:

[Modified by SIGNGUY, 10:51 PM 3/10/2003]
Old 03-10-2003, 10:42 PM
nada
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Preparation for decal placement, a couple of questions please. (SIGNGUY)

I have a small bottle of "Goo Remover." It removes the adhesive that remains when you take an old decal off. It disolves the stuff like magic. I used it on my truck's window when the plastic tint went bad. I peeled it off and it left a ton of of the adhesive and the Goo remover took it right off. What do you guys think?

Rick
Old 03-11-2003, 07:46 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a small bottle of "Goo Remover." It removes the adhesive that remains when you take an old decal off. It disolves the stuff like magic. I used it on my truck's window when the plastic tint went bad. I peeled it off and it left a ton of of the adhesive and the Goo remover took it right off. What do you guys think?

Rick
Paint ain't glass. Go with the right product or you might be repainting your air cleaner.

Get notified of new replies

To Preparation for decal placement, a couple of questions please.

Quick Reply: Preparation for decal placement, a couple of questions please.