C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Caliper Question... I know.. I know....

Old 03-10-2003, 03:44 PM
Mr.Gearhead
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Caliper Question... I know.. I know....

Hi all, Old question.. new to me...
I have read all the posts about leaking calipers, however I am not sure where everyone is stating the leak point. I replaced all four 2 yrs ago and only clock 900 miles before body off rebuild. I noticed the brake fluid on the tear down and just got to checking it on the assembly. My calipers are leaking from the rubber around the center of the piston. It looks like there is a groove in the piston that seats the rubber boot. Is this rubber boot supposed to be sealed around the piston with something? Did my become unsealed somehow? It seems like a really weird design? I would like to replace with something that won't leak... any suggestions? :confused:
Old 03-10-2003, 09:43 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Caliper Question... I know.. I know.... (Mr.Gearhead)

For the outer dust boot to show fluid , it means your hydraulic brake fluid seal further back on the piston is bad. You need a rebuild.

If you have SS sleeved calipers (you should check before you do anything), then I would recommend the VBP O-ring piston kit. You can do all 4 for $120 and have years of trouble free usage. It has been put to the test by many with good results.

The rubber outer dust boot is recommended by the GM shop manual to be sealed to the piston with RTV in the piston groove which this normally rides in, to reduce the possibility of contamination past the dust seal. You need to disassemble the caliper in order to do any of this.

Good luck...
Old 03-10-2003, 09:45 PM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi
No, this rubber seal you see is only a dust seal, not suppost to seal the brake fluid.
If there is brake fluid showing up, the piston pressure ( lip ) seal is bad.
You need to remove this piston to inspect the caliper bore and piston seal carefully.
May be you should get a O-ring conversion kit.
Rgds Gunther :seeya
Old 03-10-2003, 09:49 PM
Mr.Gearhead
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Caliper Question... I know.. I know.... (MN-Brent)

The O ring kit... easy install? The caliper are remanufactured... so I don't know if they are sleeved. How are the SSBC Force 10 calipers? I just want to drop the cash now and be done with it. The cool part about rebuilding is that all the parts are CLEAN>>>>>>> :crazy: :smash:
Old 03-10-2003, 09:57 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your calipers are remanufactured, then most likely they are SS sleeved but probably had the OEM lip seals in them and not the O-ring seals. The lip seals are prone to leaks from sitting without usage. Teh O-ring desing is advertised for not developing a memory set from sitting for long periods without usage.

If you dont want to mess with them, you can the VBP O-ring caliper already set-up and you only need to install them as any other caliper. From the finished product, you wont even now there is a difference.

They are a supporting vendor, so look them up.

Brent...
Old 03-10-2003, 10:12 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

I have done the VBP o-ring conversion but have not installed them yet. My question is this: How tight should the pistons be in the bores? My pistons are so tight that they don't slide in and out with any ease. How tight should they be?
Old 03-10-2003, 10:20 PM
Touringpro
Racer

Default Re: Caliper Question... I know.. I know.... (MN-Brent)

. . .

If you dont want to mess with them, you can the VBP O-ring caliper already set-up and you only need to install them as any other caliper. From the finished product, you wont even now there is a difference.

They are a supporting vendor, so look them up.

Brent...

:iagree: That's what I did a couple months ago. Bought this kit http://www.vettebrakes.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=22200O and now have a car that pretty much stops when I hit the pedal. :D
Old 03-10-2003, 10:21 PM
J75
Racer

Default Re: Caliper Question... I know.. I know.... (79VetteMike)

I have done the VBP o-ring conversion but have not installed them yet. My question is this: How tight should the pistons be in the bores? My pistons are so tight that they don't slide in and out with any ease. How tight should they be?
I installed the VB o ring pistons today and they slide as normal.Did you use the lube supplied?Real nice parts.
Old 03-10-2003, 10:49 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Caliper Question... I know.. I know.... (J75)

I actually bought the kits several months ago and there was not lube. I guess I should call them. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-12-2003, 12:28 PM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Caliper Question... I know.. I know.... (79VetteMike)

Hi
Yes, call them , but I wouldn't worry too much about it.
The O-ring pistons are tight enough so that the original springs are not mowing them. If you installed the O-rings dry ( no lube ), they will be a bit tight until you fill the system with brake fluid.
My kit from VB also had no lube with it.
You can use normal brake fluid . :yesnod:
Put them on and enjoy. :seeya
Gunther

Get notified of new replies

To Caliper Question... I know.. I know....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Caliper Question... I know.. I know....