C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1981 Have disconnected most of computer need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 01:46 PM
Corvettewolf
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1981 Have disconnected most of computer need help

Have installed Edelbrock carb and Distributor with vacuum control. Runs great.However Rev counter now does not work due to disconnecting original wiring to electronic distributor. Any suggestions as to how to re wire?
Also, I am told that auto transmission is unlikely to lock up due to above disconnect. Any suggestions
Old 03-10-2003, 02:24 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: 1981 Have disconnected most of computer need help (Corvettewolf)

Welcome to the forum !!

For the tachometer to work, you need to re-connect the lead to the distributor. Is the lead disconnected or totally missing ? Is the new distributor an HEI type ?

As far as the transmission, yes, without the computer the torque converter will not lock up. In 1980, before the computers, lockup was accomplished using a vacuum switch and a lead from the brake pedal switch.
What you want to do is get a vacuum switch from a 1980 and wire it to the transmission so that you will only get a voltage signal to the transmission when you have enough engine vacuum (so it not engage the lockup when vacuum is low such as at full throttle) and when the brake lights are not on.

You want the converter unlocked when you are on the brakes or at 3/4 to full throttle.

A system can be made for the 350C and the 700R4 transmission using a vacuum switch, a 30 amp relay, some wiring and the plug that goes into the transmission.
Let me know if you need the wiring schematic.

[Modified by BSeery, 12:25 PM 3/10/2003]
Old 03-10-2003, 02:29 PM
john's '81 mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't understand why your engine tach does not work. I removed the factory distributor on my '81 and installed an Accel HEI type distributor, and my engine tach still works!
Old 03-10-2003, 03:23 PM
Corvettewolf
Intermediate

Default Re: 1981 Have disconnected most of computer need help (BSeery)

Hi
Many thanks for your reply. Seems I need to reconnect the lead. Will have to trace to see which one.
Would very much appreciate wiring schematic for transmission.
Thanks again for your help
Old 03-10-2003, 03:24 PM
Corvettewolf
Intermediate

Default Re: 1981 Have disconnected most of computer need help (john's '81 mouse)

Hi
Can you give me a clue which color wire is the one for the Tach
Thanks
Old 03-10-2003, 04:26 PM
john's '81 mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have access to my vette right now, and I don't have a wiring schematic accessabel either. As I recall, my '81 had four wire assemblies plugged into the OEM distributor, and I now use three of those four in my HEI vacuum advance (1980 and prior) distributor. There is a big red one (hot wire I assume), and two others, one which I believe comes from the tach filter, which is located on the rear passenger side on a bracket on intake manifold. Anyway, it's these three wire ends that I plug into the bottom of the HEI distributor cap.

The fourth electical plug has several wires in the line, and it's one of those mulitiple type plugs, and this is the one that I do not have plugged in and it's simply not hooked up to anything. I believe this is the wiring which feed to and received information from computer to advance the spark.

I've just left my computer in the vette and the electronic torque convertor lock up still works.

Hope some of this helps.
Old 03-10-2003, 04:53 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Re: 1981 Have disconnected most of computer need help (john's '81 mouse)

heavy red wire: 12v supply to coil. tan wire (~16AWG) is to tach. you can also identify it by the pigtail connector used for diagnostic. it has about 2" wire comming back out with a connector that just kind of hangs there like an orphan. the tach is not tied into the computer so simply pluging it back into the cap should restore tach function.
where's kent?

Get notified of new replies

To 1981 Have disconnected most of computer need help

Quick Reply: 1981 Have disconnected most of computer need help