C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recurve saga continues.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 09:29 AM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Recurve saga continues.....

I've been trying to recurve my distributer for a month now due to the weather,and this weekend backed the initial down to 8 degrees from 10.The reason was I heard light pinging during cruise condition,but everywhere else the timing seemed OK.The full advance is now 34 degrees in at around 3500,and with the vacuum can connected at idle I've got 20 degrees.Seems reasonable to me.
The problem I'm having is after driving the car for 40 miles to work,the idle which was 700-750 when warmed up in the morning,is now 1000,and when you shift into Park climbs even higher.The choke is Tywrapped open,so I rule out the choke. I have yet to replace the carb due to lack of funds,and I'm sure the power valve spring is messing with my idle overrich condition,but I'm baffled by this high idle after running. Got any thaughts?
Do you think the new carb will cure all? :confused:
Old 03-10-2003, 09:35 AM
Surfer69
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Recurve saga continues..... (The Money Pit)

Try screwing in idle mixture screws to lean out a bit, that will knock down rpm a little. I curved mine recently and also had to adjust throttle screw some too. Check fast idle cam and make sure its screw is set right. My .02
Old 03-10-2003, 09:38 AM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same problem with my Holley 850 dp. While I know nothing about your 1904 carb, I wonder why you cant adjust the idle down while it's idled up? My carb did the same thing and I just idled it down but I still have a lot of adjustment to do on it. Maybe someone who knows bout 1904s or even Lars will see this after I boot you ttt.

Brett :thumbs:
Old 03-10-2003, 09:48 AM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Advancing/Retarding the distributor will affect your idle speed. You can lower your idle speed by messing with your idle circuit or by closing the primary and secondary throttle plates some.

Get notified of new replies

To Recurve saga continues.....

Quick Reply: Recurve saga continues.....