C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ran last week but not this week

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 09:04 AM
70vetteinpieces
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Default ran last week but not this week

I don't think I'll ever get this car back running on the road. I believe the clutch problem has been resolved - not 100% satisfied.

Now I can not get the car to run for more than 2 seconds. its sounds like it is running out of fuel. I checked the fuel volume (electric pump) and pressure (6 lbs.) I put a volt meter on the pump to make sure it has power at all times.

Hooked up a vacuum guage and during the 2 seconds of running It pulls 15lb of vacuum.

Thought I isolated the probelm to the new carburator - but put the old one back on and it does the same thing. Disappointed it's late Sunday night and have to quit 'til Saturday.

I did some electrical testing - the coil has 8 volts and jumps to 12 during cranking. After the car fires it drops to 8. I believe this is correct for a 70 Vette.

Last week it ran fine over 30 minutes, and actually Sunday morning it started first time. I made a clutch adjustment and it never ran after that.

Any suggestions on where do I go from here?

If I was a mechanic for a living I would starve to death.

Old 03-10-2003, 12:32 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Re: ran last week but not this week (70vetteinpieces)

Is your choke closed or open?If the carb gets fuel(Look for the squirt when you hit the gas),maybe there's a bad connection in the ignition switch.Check for spark.
Mine starts on the first crank,and stalls instantly in the cold mornings too,but my choke is tywrapped full open,and I run a 240 degree cam which is lumpy to begin with.
Old 03-16-2003, 11:37 PM
70vetteinpieces
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Re: ran last week but not this week (70vetteinpieces)

Problem resolved

For some reason the new starter solenoid bypass grounds the coil. At start it supplies twelve volts to the coil but then returns to ground. If I tap it a little with a hammer it will become an open circuit like it should. Not one book mentioned that this could be the problem.

Get notified of new replies

To ran last week but not this week

Quick Reply: ran last week but not this week