C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will modifying a performer intake work as well as a RPM intake?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 07:46 AM
shotgun_000
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will modifying a performer intake work as well as a RPM intake?

I've nearly finished my engine package, and one thing I feel is a limiting factor is the performer intake.

Several people have told me that they can be modified to work like an RPM intake, which works out great since you don't have hood clearance issues.

Basically, the modification consists of cutting part of the plenuim divider out. I think it's 1/2" in on both sides, and 1" down.

Is this modification worthwhile in terms of power increase, considering that I change the stock Q-Jet out? Would it be better to buy a Performer RPM?

What I am looking for in terms of power is enough to run 0-60mph in less than 5 seconds. Currently, I'm at 5.1 seconds. Will a carb change and intake mod help me reach my goal?

Thanks! :cheers: :seeya
Old 03-10-2003, 09:31 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Will modifying a performer intake work as well as a RPM intake? (shotgun_000)

Before cutting the divider, you should try an insulating open spacer & an insulating 4 hole or divided spacer. What is gasket/spacer & air filter now?
Do you have 2101, x-over, high flow mufflers?
You want everything dialed in like carb, timing, dist. adv., cam adv., etc.
More rocker ratio like Comp Cams roller tip instead of unneeded rollers & MSD.
Old 03-10-2003, 12:14 PM
shotgun_000
Safety Car

Default Re: Will modifying a performer intake work as well as a RPM intake? (Ganey)

Do you have 2101, x-over, high flow mufflers?
I have the non-egr performer. I don't have the x-over yet, but just as soon as I get to a muffler shop, that will be done. Mufflers, I have no idea, except that they make more noise than a stock vette.

Regarding the roller tips, would it be better to go with the 1.6's, rather than 1.5's, now that I have a better exhaust, and soon to be better intake? I want to make sure I don't kill bottom end power.

[Modified by shotgun_000, 12:16 PM 3/10/2003]
Old 03-10-2003, 04:37 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Re: Will modifying a performer intake work as well as a RPM intake? (shotgun_000)

Before you can make the decision to go to 1.6 rockers you need to know what lift your cam is. Low-end torque can drop if there is to much lift. The performer intake can give you more low-end torque than the RPM. The RPM gives you more top end (rpm's above 5500). 1.6 rockers are just another way of getting higher lift. It would be better to get the right cam because the lift and lobe timing would match what you need.
Old 03-10-2003, 10:12 PM
J75
Racer

There is a bit more difference in a preformer & a rpm than the divider.I switched to the rpm and it was a big change from idle on up.I also added the 1.6 rollers and they do fine.Did not really see a big gain,but some.
Old 03-10-2003, 11:01 PM
81ZZ4
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Will modifying a performer intake work as well as a RPM intake? (J75)

:iagree:

Get notified of new replies

To Will modifying a performer intake work as well as a RPM intake?

Quick Reply: Will modifying a performer intake work as well as a RPM intake?