C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my vette back from the mechanic tonight...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 10:51 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Got my vette back from the mechanic tonight...

For those who don't know, I had bought new brakes, calipers, lines, shocks, front end rebuild kit, Dewitt radiator & a rear VBP monospring to install on this '74. Suspension work is just not something I want to tackle so I found a mechanic who works on vettes in the Houston area who had a break in his schedule and took the work on. Actually... the mechanic found me after I posted on this forum that I was looking for someone to do the work. And actually I am glad he did it rather than me after he described the condition of the bolts(which he cut off in many cases) and *fused* bushings.

It was about 9PM that we winched it into the garage, so I really haven't had time to go through everything he did, but I can tell you that I am really disappointed in one thing. Now everything else under the car looks like crap compared to the new stuff! I wasn't going to clean all that up until this work was done, so I'll tackle cleaning everything up & undercoating everything next weekend along with installing the MSD, shift light & gauges. Hopefully I can then drop the motor in the weekend after that.... or sooner if I can get some time off to take vacation.

(Accidently posted this in the Car Parts section.... dumb, dumb, dumb)
Old 03-10-2003, 02:25 AM
standup
Drifting

Default Re: Got my vette back from the mechanic tonight... (bgrice)

I know where you are coming from...every time I put in some new bits, the older stuff starts to look really shadey......I tend to just stare at the new bits, so I can avoid the overwhelming feeling I get knowing that this car is never going to be exactly the way I want it!!!!!!

Congrats...enjoy the new parts and then plan the next stage.
Old 03-10-2003, 03:20 AM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

Hey Barry, glad to see your coming along there nicely and almost done. I've tried limiting my purchases after I paid for the engine but I'm afraid that once I drop that new engine in everything else in the engine bay is going to look like crap.
So where are the pictures???
:cheers:
Old 03-10-2003, 09:09 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Got my vette back from the mechanic tonight... (tshort)

Travis....

The mechanic took a load of pix while he was taking this thing apart and said he would e-mail them to me. Guessing he's putting together a portfolio of *junk* he's worked on. Did I say that? :yesnod:

The VBP rear fiberglass monospring is wicked looking to say the least. I haven't really looked at all the paperwork from VBP, but the mechanic said I could raise & lower to ride height with this set-up. Just being level was an improvement. I actually expected the rear height to be higher with the new shocks & spring, but it's actually lower and looks alot better.

I will give you a tip on your AR engine that you have coming in. These are all reconditioned/bored/aligned blocks, so check things out better than I did. I found a bolt that was broken off in the upper waterpump area when I started working with the March pulleys. It's not a big deal as I have heli-coil kits and Mark worked with me to make sure I knew how far I could drill in & tap. Run a tap into every threaded hole just to save yourself some time. By the way... my block is a '72(Jan. 26, 1972). For once I like something older than this '74 vette.
Old 03-10-2003, 10:14 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

i hear you, everything I improve on results in more unhappiness with what's remaining from the prior owner. If this keeps up the only thing that will have not been replaced/ reconditioned is the rear licence plate screws. :rolleyes:
Old 03-10-2003, 10:32 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Got my vette back from the mechanic tonight... (Cali,77,L-82)

i hear you, everything I improve on results in more unhappiness with what's remaining from the prior owner. If this keeps up the only thing that will have not been replaced/ reconditioned is the rear licence plate screws. :rolleyes:
Cali....

I am seriously catching you on $$$ spent on a vette that is not even close to having that value. I do have to admit though that I am looking foward to the whole thing in one piece again as the banker I bought this car out of Canada from is a serious "Canuck Bubba" with the clod of work he did to this thing. I just don't have the patience or want to do what you are doing to your vette. It would never be out of the garage. This one will be very presentable, but 12 second passes in the 1/4 will be the treat(without breaking of course).

Now that you reminded me... maybe the liscense plate screws are the only thing holding this thing together? :cheers:
Old 03-11-2003, 01:24 AM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

bgrice she will be on the road shrtly and all that waiting will be well worth it.

:cheers:
Old 03-11-2003, 03:59 AM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

Barry - Thanks for the heads up (literally). I can't wait to get back to the States and pick up my engine and get my car running once again. :auto:

Get notified of new replies

To Got my vette back from the mechanic tonight...

Quick Reply: Got my vette back from the mechanic tonight...