C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I can't afford an aluminum radiator right not, but...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 09:08 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Default I can't afford an aluminum radiator right not, but...

my radiator has started to leak from somewhere at the bottom - where I can't see.

So, need to get just a standard copper replacement. What are the dimensions of an 82 radiator? And, it there something I should watch for over whatever they want to sell me - like 4 tube over 3 tube?

Need to do fast - like tomorrow.
Old 03-09-2003, 09:45 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: I can't afford an aluminum radiator right not, but... (Larry82)

Bring it to a rad shop, They can fix it Cheaper...
Old 03-10-2003, 12:09 AM
Chinaski
Team Owner

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

had mine recored a few months back, cheaper than new
Old 03-10-2003, 12:36 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Used some of that metallic Br's Lak product, but doubt it is going to hold. It is goopy coming out of the bottle, and can't imagine that is good for anything over a long period.

So, shop is getting me a 4 core radiator that will be installed tomorrow. Cheaper than an aluminum one and should handle the Houston summer heat OK, especially if a 3 core one did.

Now, hope the Bar's Leak holds for one more day.
Old 03-10-2003, 05:27 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

I would flush the system to get rid of the Bar's before the new rad is installed.
Old 03-10-2003, 05:37 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 512 Likes on 312 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

A good radiator shop can recore your old rad for 1/4 of what it would cost for a replacement.
Old 03-10-2003, 07:36 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Default Re: I can't afford an aluminum radiator right not, but... (paul79)

I would flush the system to get rid of the Bar's before the new rad is installed.
That's what is holding my heater core together! :lol:
Old 03-10-2003, 10:17 PM
Bullyj
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The local radiator shop here says they can sell me a new one cheaper than they can recore. They priced me a new 3 core for $224.
Old 03-11-2003, 04:12 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Default Re: I can't afford an aluminum radiator right not, but... (Bullyj)

Aaahh! The bigger radiator is now in. Yeah, its not an aluminum, but side by side, it is about 3/4" thicker. Due to the extra row of tubes. Fit without a problem.

Now, to see how it holds the heat down on the drive home.
Old 03-11-2003, 04:56 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you got it fixed. Now for others who may read this post and have rad or other cooling sys problems heres a trick I use to help sustain a decrepid cooling sys. On your rad cap there is two gaskets. One to seal the top of the cap and another to seal the cap between the overflow tank. If you remove the gasket form the cap that seals to the overflow it will allow excess pressure when the coolant expands to just bleed into the overflow. The top cap seal will still hold all the coolant in the sys. Some people run with the cap half on to prevent pressure build up. But this usually results in coolant leaking from the cap. By removing the bottom cap gasket and screwing the cap all the way on you also prevent pressure build up but the coolant is retained in the overflow and is drawn back in when needed. It works great and helps prevent leaks caused by pressure and hose blowouts and leaking head gaskets into the cylinder and block and such. When things are all new then pressure is good and aids the cooling. But when things get older and used, pressure build up can cause more throble than its worth. If you have a leak, with this method the overflow will supply the sys with coolant as the level drops. Just keep an eye on the overflow level and add when needed. If you catch it before it gets empty, you never even need to remove the rad cap to check. This method has helped me sustain my daily driver beater pontaic which has a cracked block and leaks to the outside. I put in the stop leak and removed the one cap gasket and just keep the overflow full. I only add maybe once a month and its been years since ive been dooing this. Most mechanics would have told me it was a lost cause. Its still on the road today.
Old 03-11-2003, 08:05 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

I was surprised how fast the temps came down after sitting in traffic. Temps come down fast in about a block. You can watch the temp drop. Would drop all the way down to the temp of the thermostat - 180. Not had that happen with anything - straight water, water wetter, 40 below, you name it. Real test will be in summer heat. But I am satisfied.
Old 03-11-2003, 08:47 PM
Ghostrider
Pro

Why bother with an aluminum rad. Just buy a new steel-body, 3-core for maximum reliability and minimum cost and don't bother with the unreliable recore. They all have aluminum fins and the (aluminum or steel) body contributes very little to heat transfer. My ZZ4 runs 165F with new 165F thermostat, even in the peak of summer. I also took out (plugged both outlets at engine) the heater and hoses and 3-way pneumatic valve.
Old 03-11-2003, 09:10 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Default Re: I can't afford an aluminum radiator right not, but... (Ghostrider)

I agree. Everything I read about aluminum radiators said a 30-40 degree drop....Let's see, run at 195. This means a 155 to 165 degree temp. Maybe. Does it run at 165 at high speed? At idle, mine started dropping. So, I am pleased with a 4 core. Maybe stock is 3 core. Anyway, not knocking those who have aluminum. Just wonder about the real need.
Old 03-12-2003, 08:30 AM
virtue4u
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: I can't afford an aluminum radiator right not, but... (Jvette73)

I don't know about tweaking the cap to prevent pressure in the cooling system. The pressure is needed to raise the boiling point. A high boiling point helps prevent bubbles from forming around the hot spots near the pistons. If bubbles form, the block will not cool efficiently.
Old 03-12-2003, 11:36 AM
jerryjfunk
Melting Slicks

Default Re: I can't afford an aluminum radiator right not, but... (virtue4u)

I agree. Pressure is needed to make sure you don't boil the coolant. And also, once you do, you permanently decrease it's ability to cool.

Jerry
Old 03-12-2003, 12:16 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

my radiator has started to leak from somewhere at the bottom - where I can't see.So, need to get just a standard copper replacement. What are the dimensions of an 82 radiator? And, it there something I should watch for over whatever they want to sell me - like 4 tube over 3 tube? Need to do fast - like tomorrow.
Glad you're pleased. Most chain discount auto parts stores offer OE type rads for 77 & up C3. 3-row about $240, 4-row about $295. Modine number: for 3-row is 717, for 4-row is 718. Check LOCAL wholesale auto BODY PARTS dealer ... the ones that sell offshore sheetmetal ... many of them also sell radiators. For instance, a local wholesaler has the 3-row 717 (but it's asian-made) for about $120. I like aluminum ... no it won't drop a 195 to 165 ... but it does cool more ... the t'stat is primary control of temp when all else is working as it should. When all is working as it should but temps are still too high (ie built hi-po motor or extreme ambient temp) ... aluminum rad can definately help a lot. Take a look at modern cars/trucks ... virtually all have aluminum rads ... and they're about half as thick as the copper-brass ones ... many Al rads have only one row ... but cool just as well. Summit sells a very nice universal fit 2-row Al rads made in USA by Northern for about $170-$180 ... they're not in their paper catalog ... find em online under Summit brand name.
Old 03-12-2003, 04:20 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I can't afford an aluminum radiator right not, but... (virtue4u)

Yes I agree and understand that the cooling sys is designed to be most efficient under pressure. I was just passing on a trick that can help sustain tired systems. When I say systems I mean everything regarding sealing in the cooling sys. Head gaskets, hoses, radiator..ect. Its a bubba trick but it works well. Two of my 4 vehicles have the bottom cap gasket removed and have been like that for years. Never had a problem with em even in the hot hot summer. As long as the rad is efficient in cooling and the fan is good and all that its no problem really. Again, its just a bubba trick for the frugal to keep thier beaters going..and going and going.

:smash: :smash: :smash: :D

Get notified of new replies

To I can't afford an aluminum radiator right not, but...

Quick Reply: I can't afford an aluminum radiator right not, but...