C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally installed the Dynomax headers!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 06:45 PM
shotgun_000
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally installed the Dynomax headers!

It took me two evenings to do, but the headers are installed.

First, performance. Before, my engine would die around 5300rpm, and ran a best 0-60 mph of 5.2 seconds with the G-Tech.

Now, the engine easily pulls to over 6,000rpm, and pulls much stronger from 4K and up. I just ran a few times, and already I ran 5.1 on the G-Tech. This is with warmer weather, compared to 30 degrees cooler when I managed 5.2. My worst run was 5.6 seconds, and that instance was up a slight incline.

I'm still using the stock Q-Jet, and a performer intake. Once I upgrade the carburetor, and modify the intake to flow like an RPM, I hope it will run sub 5 second 0-60mph times. For the moment, I need to be careful. I may be running too lean, which can be bad for the header coating.

The weird thing is, the engine is quieter at low speeds, and interior noise is less. But go to WOT and it talks to ya!

The fit was very good, no clearance problems with anything :cheers:

I trashed the factory wires, and routing. I used MSD 8.8mm wires, over valve cover style, with 90 degree HEI boots. So far, no problems with heat damage :cheers: Once I find a wire loom that will work with my centerbolt valave covers, I'll reposition the wires a little more on top of the covers.

One thing I noticed is that everything seems to be hotter from the headers, compared to stock manifolds. Oh well, I'll just drive faster:D

I will attempt to post a few pictures, but if you see the dreaded "red X", just use your imagination until I resolve a problem I'm having with my picture hosting service.

Crappy stock manifolds compared to the headers

[Modified by shotgun_000, 6:11 PM 3/10/2003]
Old 03-10-2003, 04:45 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Finally installed the Dynomax headers! (shotgun_000)

Headers are :cool: ! :thumbs:
Old 03-10-2003, 05:08 AM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

:cool:

Did you make modifications to your starter (ie: heat sheild or a mini starter) to accommodate for the added heat?
Old 03-10-2003, 06:13 PM
shotgun_000
Safety Car

Default Re: Finally installed the Dynomax headers! (Mystery Machine)

:cool:

Did you make modifications to your starter (ie: heat sheild or a mini starter) to accommodate for the added heat?
No, but so far the starter has been working great; no problems with heat soak. Maybe if I do have a problem later, I'll buy one of those mini-starters :cheers:
Old 03-10-2003, 06:32 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Looks great i like my dynomax headers as well.Flow much better than those ram horns :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Finally installed the Dynomax headers!

Quick Reply: Finally installed the Dynomax headers!