C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ceramic coating vs high temp wrap

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 03:21 PM
Never Finished
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ceramic coating vs high temp wrap

I know the Jet hot ceramic coating looks great and I'm nearly ready to get new headers coated in it, but: How does it compare in lowering under hood temperatures (and consequently, the interior temps) with the high temperature wraps coated with the recommended high temp paints?

If the underhood temps (and consequently, the interior temps) would be MUCH lower with the wraps, the overall setup would be slightly cheaper, and possibly more desireable for me. However, cheaper is not my main concern. I'd say riding, got to keep the wife happy and cool, comfortably would be the most critical issue. She loves the car and doesn't give me any trouble about the money I spend on it as long as it is comfortable for her when she's in it. By the way, the A/C works pretty good. That was one of my first repairs. I've really learned a little about marriage politics as I have gotten older. Still pretty stupid though.

How about getting ceramics and wraping from the collector back? Would that help?

Old 03-09-2003, 03:31 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Ceramic coating vs high temp wrap (Never Finished)

The ceramic coatings are pretty effective, and they also look good and will help prevent corrsoion inside and out on mild steel systems.

The wraps are also very effective, but I don't think they look very good, and if you get the wraps wet, they start to deteriorate. Absorb dirt, grease, oil, etc and tend to look grungy over time. Also, there is some concern that the wraps are too effective at trapping heat, and with mild steel and lesser grade stainless (304), the wraps will actually overheat metal and cause it to deteriorate. Additonally, the wraps do nothing to prevent corrosion on mild steel systems, and may actually trap moisture,e tc that will increase corrosion.

Another good option are some of the new cermamic/metallic heat barriers like these from http://www.heatshieldproducts.com. Attaching these to you exhaust pipes under the footwalls would probably make a significant improvement in radiant heat. You could also use some of Dynamat's thermal barrier materials under you carpet to help reject radiant heat. Either way would work well and hold up better than the thermal wraps around the pipes.

Old 03-09-2003, 03:36 PM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

I have the wraps on my Hooker sidepipes. Every time I run through water I have to put up with steam for a half a mile. It takes forever to burn off any fluid that might get spilled on them also. Mine have been on for 2 years and look to be holding up OK. The paint that is included in the kit does not work on the wrap.
Old 03-09-2003, 03:37 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Glad you are learning about the married thing. I have been married 35 years and really try to keep the wife happy when out in the vet. I like her company and if I don't drive sensible or the car makes her unhappy she won't go with me and I loose a good riding partner.
Anyway about the header wrap. I have had my headers wrapped for more then 10 years with the same wrap. It ended up costing me about $100CDN for 2 kits. That is still alot cheaper then coating. I find my underhood temperatures went way down. Even after a hard expressway run to a cruise night when you lift the hood that heat wave doesn't hit you.
I never drive my car in the rain, never. There can be a problem with containing the heat with the wrap and the headers can destroy themselves and I believe wrapped headers are not guaranteed.
13 years ago my headers were $115 CDN and the wrap another $100CDN. I could not touch coated headers for that price.
The wrap certainly does the job of containing the heat.
A tip, If you wrap the headers soak the wrap in water for 15 minutes before wrapping. It sure makes the wrap more pliable and easier to work around the tubes.
I start at the top and wrap around itself at first and use no clamps and end at the collector with only one clamp.
Hear is a picture after years of service on my wrapped headers and they have never been coated with the sprays you can get for the wrap.
Old 03-09-2003, 05:14 PM
Never Finished
Instructor

Thanks for the help. Your responses really helped me with my decision. I drive in the rain alot. Never thought about the steam issue. Those Heat Shield Products barriers look pretty good. Looks like I'll go with ceramic coated headers first. Then, if there is too much heat, I'll try the Heat Shield Product barriers.

By the way, the interior was completely redone a couple of years ago. I added a number of items, including the Dynomat heat barriers, to reduce interior temps. Those improvements helped a lot. Prior to that, sitting in the passenger seat was somewhat like I would imagine it feels to sit on a hot frying pan. Now you really don't notice any difference between the two seats.

Norval, for me it's only been 33 yrs of marital bliss. For my wife, crusin' around in the Vette is special, and almost as good as going out and doing something together. Plus, we hardly ever argue when we're out. I feel lucky. This is one great toy for me.

Old 03-09-2003, 05:17 PM
WhyFly
Instructor

Had my Headman Headers coated a year ago and couldn't be happier with them. It was a little pricey @ about $225 I think but they look great and keep the temps both under the hood and in the passenger compartment way down. I agree with Monty totally about any moisture retained in the wrap being detrimental in the long term to the pipes themselves. I considered the wrap but just really liked the thought of the ceramic coating on the inside of the pipes effectively sealing them. An added advantage is that they clean up really well with a little Windex and look as good today as they did two years ago when I installed them. They dissapate the heat so well, I can touch the headers before I can touch the heads or pretty much anything else under the hood. To each his own...and whichever way you go, both will help to make your ride more enjoyable. Good Luck :thumbs:
Old 03-09-2003, 09:15 PM
1971corvette
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 84 Posts

I remember reading about a guy that wraped his headers,on a long trip his caught on fire.Doesen't sound like something I want to deal with on the road.

Get notified of new replies

To Ceramic coating vs high temp wrap

Quick Reply: Ceramic coating vs high temp wrap