C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1970-72 Corvette NCRS Technical Information Manual & Judging Guide question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 01:51 PM
nada
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1970-72 Corvette NCRS Technical Information Manual & Judging Guide question.

Does this manual contain good photographs and drawings or is it all text?

Thanks in advance! :cheers:
Old 03-09-2003, 02:33 PM
trw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: 1970-72 Corvette NCRS Technical Information Manual & Judging Guide question. (Rick Church)

Rick my 73 NCRS Manual is all text.

There is a good book called "Corvette Restoration Guide 1968-1982" by Richard Prince that has alot of good pics.

Terry
Old 03-09-2003, 05:27 PM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: 1970-72 Corvette NCRS Technical Information Manual & Judging Guide question. (Rick Church)

Rick:

I've got them both and more but it depends on what your seeking and the objective for the car.

1. original and restored.

2. Stock looking

3. Modified

Lots of books but most are written with different objectives in mind...The NCRS has some sketches and graphics but lots of accurate text for all major sytems. Other restoration books have pictures but limited in their scope...couldn't publish a book that big!

If you're looking for pictures...try the Dobbins series but they have errors from an NCRS perspective but if you seek stock looking probably perfect!

Old 03-09-2003, 06:53 PM
Roscoe
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: 1970-72 Corvette NCRS Technical Information Manual & Judging Guide question. (hunt4cleanair)

Rick:

I've got them both and more but it depends on what your seeking and the objective for the car.

1. original and restored.

2. Stock looking

3. Modified

Lots of books but most are written with different objectives in mind...The NCRS has some sketches and graphics but lots of accurate text for all major sytems. Other restoration books have pictures but limited in their scope...couldn't publish a book that big!

If you're looking for pictures...try the Dobbins series but they have errors from an NCRS perspective but if you seek stock looking probably perfect!
:iagree:
Old 03-09-2003, 07:03 PM
VolVette
Melting Slicks

Depending on what you're looking for, one of the best guides for sketches, drawing, and schematics is Doctor Rebuild's parts catalog. You can get one for free if you order or just send him $3.00 for the catalog. (www.docrebuild.com)

I have an NCRS guide for my year and really like it. It is very informative and if you love real technical information, it's great. You will not find glossy color pictures but I consider it one of my best resources.

[Modified by VolVette, 7:04 PM 3/9/2003]
Old 03-10-2003, 09:17 AM
nada
Racer

Default Re: 1970-72 Corvette NCRS Technical Information Manual & Judging Guide question. (VolVette)

I'll never have a NCRS worthy car because I don't have the money or the time. However, I do want a car that is completely original in appearance and equipment. Especially the engine compartment. Keeping that in mind, what would you guys recommend (publication) that will best suit my goals?

Thanks......Rick
Old 03-10-2003, 09:39 AM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 432 Likes on 256 Posts

Default Re: 1970-72 Corvette NCRS Technical Information Manual & Judging Guide question.

Rick,

NCRS worthy? I think that you'd be surprised... Most people who feel this way and have their cars judged generally do quite well. It has been my observation that we are our own worst critics when it comes to evaluating our own car. Not every car that goes through flight judging is a "cost no object" body off restoration. Check out an NCRS judging event in your area the next time you get a chance... Even if you don't take the car, I think you'll find the process interesting.

The NCRS TIM&JG is a great resource (especially for what you are trying to achieve)... Even if photographs and diagrams are a bit lacking.

One other NCRS publication worth picking up would be the Performance Verification manual that includes your year. This will tell you exactly how various parts of your car were intended to function... This can be quite a bit different than how they may operate now! :)

The Assembly Instruction Manual... This has a few short comings, but is still one of the finest resources you can have.

The Richard Prince book that has been mentioned is good. Richard was (I would imagine he still is) heavily involved in NCRS at one time and has a good handle on what to look for. His book is definitely better illustrated than the NCRS manuals.

There are really dozens of good books out there... Look around and pick one up from time to time. Before you know it you'll have a pretty comprehensive reference library.

Regards,

Get notified of new replies

To 1970-72 Corvette NCRS Technical Information Manual & Judging Guide question.

Quick Reply: 1970-72 Corvette NCRS Technical Information Manual & Judging Guide question.