C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starter options

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 12:00 PM
jetech
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter options

Has anyone used the Powermaster starters. I am looking at the MasterTorque model. How about the Protorque starters? I did a search and read mixed opinions about other than OEM starters. When I removed my starter the large bolt on the solenoid pulled out of the housing. I bought a new solenoid, so when removing the old solenoid I found the screws siezed in the aluminum casting :mad I cut the heads off of the screws and drilled for an easy out. One screw stud came out but while working the other the aluminum flange broke :mad :cuss soooo now I have a OEM boat anchor. Maybe I can use it for something usefull like throwing it through the hood of a Honda :D
Old 03-09-2003, 12:51 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: starter options (jetech)

When I built my motor, I contacted a local starter/alt rebuilder. This is a place that has been in San Diego for a long time ... and I asked for a high torque unit. He suggested a new mini-starter and I have no regrets. It is quite a bit smaller than the OEM style and has gobs of clearance from the header on that side.

I did not even need to use a heat shield on it. So my suggestion is to NOT spend a lot of time online looking at big companies. Talk to the local rebuilders.

Oh, BTW this unit is not reman it is NEW. Does not have a name brand on it though. Cost me $99
Old 03-09-2003, 03:35 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

If you have the 168 tooth flywheel/flexplate you can't beat the Delco starter found in 95 454 trucks. Permanent magnet, gear reduction. Weighs less than 10 lbs, draws 1/3 the current of the stock starter and cranks like crazy. Local autoparts stores have them for around $200 incl core charge or you can find them on ebay for much less.
Old 03-09-2003, 05:21 PM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

I simply had a correct date coded rebuilt readied and installed and its worked fine! What's the big deal?

Get notified of new replies

To starter options

Quick Reply: starter options