C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parts & Number Guys..HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 11:59 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Parts & Number Guys..HELP!!

Is this 70-72 front lower drivers side grill GM or aftermarket??
The number on the outer edge of the back side is 3966793. On the other side of the light housing is "Guide 19 S.A.E. IP 70"
Thanks much in advance...
Eddie
Old 03-09-2003, 12:57 PM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 257 Posts

Default Re: Parts & Number Guys..HELP!!

Is this 70-72 front lower drivers side grill GM or aftermarket??
The number on the outer edge of the back side is 3966793. On the other side of the light housing is "Guide 19 S.A.E. IP 70"
Eddie,

Sounds as though you have a genuine GM part there. 3966793 is the casting number for the first design 1970 grill (left side - 3966794 was the right side)... I gather that it has three attachment studs at the bottom rear portion of the grill? Depending upon the condition, it might be worth a few bucks to somebody.

I'm not sure if the casting number changed on the later two grill designs used during the 1970 - 1972 time frame, but I would be willing to bet that they did... The part number certainly did.

Hope that this helps.

Regards,
Old 03-09-2003, 01:14 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Parts & Number Guys..HELP!! (Rowdy Rat)

Thanks Rowdy. I haven't checked yet, but I hope this fits my 72 without too much modification. Even though the casting numbers are different, shouldn't the basic mounting hole location be the same? These are sold as 70-72 just about everywhere, and I'm not concerened with "correct" #'s.
Thanks Again....
Eddie :cheers:
Old 03-10-2003, 09:00 AM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 257 Posts

Default Re: Parts & Number Guys..HELP!!

Eddie,

There were three different styles of front grills used during the 1970-1972 model years.

The first style was used through most of the 1970 model year and there is evidence of it being used on some very early 1971 cars as well. This grill used three attachment studs (which were part of the casting) along the lower edge of the grill; as such, there are no holes (or screws filling said holes) on the lower outboard face. The casting number that you provided should be for this grill.

The second grill was used intermitently very late in the 1970 model year and with few exceptions, through most of the 1971 model year as well. This grill used two screws along the lower portion of the grill to secure it to the body and the studs are absent from the casting as a result.

The third style of grill was externally identical to the second... The difference was on the reverse side of the grill where the hole in the light housing for the fiber optic line was eliminated... A result of that feature being cancelled. This grill was used during the 1972 model year.

Now for your question... I have seen a few late original 1970 cars with the second design grill (my last 1970 had these grills). I have also seen two original 1970 cars with one first design and one second design grill. From that, I would imagine that it might be possible to use either style of grill in your application without too much effort... Apparently the factory did. I doubt that the holes will be in the same location; there will probably be some drilling involved. Then there is always the aesthetic consideration... When you're done, you'll have one grill with screws along the bottom and one without. Not a problem on an original car where production variations are an important part of a car's history, but perhaps not the best looking solution otherwise.

Good luck with your decision.

Regards,

Get notified of new replies

To Parts & Number Guys..HELP!!

Quick Reply: Parts & Number Guys..HELP!!