C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help... radiator and support

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 09:37 AM
ndirishr1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Need help... radiator and support

I am looking at putting a BeKool or similar radiator and electric fan in my 68 and wanted to change the radiator support to a later C3 model to use a larger radiator. Any help on how difficult this is or suggestions would be greatly appreciated before I get in antifreeze over my head. My goal is to provide adequate cooling for the stock 327/350HP engine for hot summer parades and to be set up for a possible high HP crate motor down the road. Thanks! :confused:
Old 03-09-2003, 09:59 AM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need help... radiator and support (ndirishr1)

I am not an expert on this subject, but before you change to a different support, why not see if an aluminum radiator with more cooling rows is available. I think that will give you what you need. :cheers:
Old 03-09-2003, 10:08 AM
Taijutsu
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Once you start replacing and fabricating, things can get complicated/expensive. On my 74 I had the STOCK radiator rebuilt to a 4 core. I have dual Spals and love it! I believe you have a 2 core radiator and mine started out as a 3 core. I got this idea from the forum. Your rebuilt radiator will fit/look like stk. The rebuild is less than cost of new radiator. Check this out! On the hottest days w/AC on, NO PROBLEMS!
Old 03-09-2003, 11:17 AM
shoptek
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ndirishr1,

The way I understand it, the '68 is another 1 year only support, and due to the way it is designed, you could not use a later support without significant mods.
I just did a support and rad change on my '71 and it was a PAIN---and I was just replacing stock parts to stock parts!!!!!

I agree 100% with the other posters about the rads. 1) check Tom Dewitts site,(on the far left lower part of the forum page-under restoration) a supporting vendor, and see what he suggests for an aluminum replacement or 2) take your existing rad to a competent shop and have it recored with a 4 row high efficiency core. The new 4 row HE cores should still fit in your support as the are narrower than a 4 row standard core.

[Modified by shoptek, 11:19 AM 3/9/2003]
Old 03-09-2003, 11:23 AM
ndirishr1
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like changing the support might be a pain. I hadn't thought about having this one recored.
Old 03-09-2003, 03:17 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

:iagree: I feel the pain. Bubba stuffed a different year (don't know which year yet) support in mine. Still researching for correct parts: brackets, radiator, etc.. Only shroud was correct.
It's all expensive stuff. Hear more happy owners with "good" eletrical system but stock should have better resale. :chevy
Old 03-09-2003, 03:22 PM
ndirishr1
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Need help... radiator and support (cardo0)

Thanks. Not worried about resale. Had car for 15 years and plan to have it until I croak or can't push a clutch in any more. I'll let my sons worry about resale! Want to make it reliable on hot days for worry free driving in parades.
Old 03-09-2003, 07:42 PM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi
The 19x29 Alu radiators with 2 rows of 1 inch cooling tubes are good enough for big blocks and fit perfectly into the 68.
They should be able to cool a small block as well. :yesnod:
But if you realy want to overkill, this rads can be had with 2 rows of 1.25 inch cooling tubes.

good luck Gunther
Old 03-09-2003, 09:04 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

The later 68 AC cars had the larger rad. like the BB cars.
Old 03-11-2003, 12:05 AM
ndirishr1
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the helpful responses. I learned a lot about '68 radiators today.
Greg
Old 03-11-2003, 12:33 AM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Althought it sounds like the 68 core support is different.... I changed out my (69) core support from the origional little allum rad, to the biggest one made... and stuffed it with a HP series alluminum Griffen a few summers ago. The swap was not too difficult at all, cooling was greatly improved.

The car now comes right up to temp, and stays there even after idleing for more than an hour in 95 degree heat.

Some pics of my swap can be found here... http://community.webshots.com/album/27554540PUOdIkdsvs

Tom Dewith was a big help with the swap as well... you can contact him at http://www.dewitts.com :thumbs:
Old 03-11-2003, 07:35 PM
ndirishr1
Burning Brakes

Decided not to change the support and will install a '65 BB DeWitt aluminum radiator with a SPAL dual 11" electric fan set-up. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-11-2003, 08:42 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Thanks for the comments and the order. This is a classic case of someone calling me and discussing all the options before just tearing into something they might regret later. This package is actually something we make, but do not advertise. It was only after a long discussion, that we came about this package.

If there are any other 68 fans out there, I would like to share some information that might turn some heads but here's my statement:

"The stock small block aluminum radiator will out cool the Big block copper brass unit"!

Now, I know a few are saying "BS" that radiator is much bigger, better. But it's not and heres why. The core section of a brass/copper radiator is the only functional area that cools. The brass end tanks make the radiator look larger in size but they provide no additional cooling. The core in the 68 BB and 68 auto radiator was 22.5" wide by 17" tall and 2 3/4" thick. Now the small block aluminum radiator, which is made by "stacked plates" is all core, no end tanks and measures, guess what, 22.5" x 17" x 3". It's the same size and it's aluminum and the single internal passage is one 3" tube vs (4) four 3/8" tubes. Many times people have told me they "upgraded" to the BB radiator, when actually they downgraded. If you're thinking of doing something, call me, advise is FREE. Here's a pic of the special

[Modified by Tom DeWitt, 7:44 PM 3/11/2003]
Old 03-11-2003, 08:59 PM
Tyler Townsley
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: Need help... radiator and support (Tom DeWitt)

Having put a 69+ radiator support in to fit the larger radiator and fans on a 68 I think this new setup is a better way. The 69 support does not just bolt in you have to grind some to make it fit and then it is pretty close to too big. Mine cools real well but I would choose this newer setup if I had to cool another 68.

Tyler

Get notified of new replies

To Need help... radiator and support

Quick Reply: Need help... radiator and support