C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need an opinion on front and rear spring replacements.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 09:10 AM
nada
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need an opinion on front and rear spring replacements.

I was under the 71 yesterday and noticed the lower ball joint rubber boots and lower control arm bushings are SHOT! With over 105K on the car, I guess it's time for a front suspension rebuild. I did this on my previous vette (76) and I couldn't believe the difference it made in driveability and handling. HOWEVER, I'd like the opinion of the group with regard to replacing the front coil and rear leaf springs during the suspension rebuild. Do they necessarily need replaced; what are your thoughts? 105K miles on the car!

Thanks,
Rick in Tennessee
Old 03-09-2003, 09:14 AM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: Need an opinion on front and rear spring replacements. (Rick Church)

Rich,
For $50 in the front and $100 in the rear. Why not. At least you will be able to adjust the ride height and make it the way you want it.
Old 03-09-2003, 09:41 AM
ndirishr1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Re: Need an opinion on front and rear spring replacements. (Rick Church)

I redid my 68 last year and what a difference! I changed everything because I wanted to have some trust and reliability and just do this once. I used 460 pound front springs and 330 pound rear fiberglass springs. The ride is so much better. Do yourself a favor and replace them.
Old 03-09-2003, 09:57 AM
FASGLAS
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Default Re: Need an opinion on front and rear spring replacements. (ndirishr1)

My "new" '71 roadster arrived home last night. :D (can't get the damn grin off my face)

The car shows 83,000 miles and has been in dead storage for YEARS. Everthing in the suspension feels like it's disconnected. I'm convinced all the moving parts will be replaced. Under MODERATE acceleration, it feel as if it wants to go in several different directions, none being where I want to go. :lol:

If this was any other time, I'd be preparing the body for removal, but don't want to see the 50th anniversary doings arrive with the car out of service.

Will concentrate on getting it going, turning and stopping correctly first. It may not be the prettiest at BG, but it'll be there... :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To Need an opinion on front and rear spring replacements.

Quick Reply: Need an opinion on front and rear spring replacements.