C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Edelbrock Thunder Series Carb Update. On the Road.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 08:39 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Edelbrock Thunder Series Carb Update. On the Road.

Well, yesterday was a nice day and I managed to take the 74 out for about 45 minutes. I posted last week that I had installed a Professional Products polished intake (Performer 2101 knockoff) and an Edelbrock Thunder Series 650 cfm carb with adjustable Air Valve Secondaries. I started the car and let it run for about 30 seconds and then just drove away. This was a vast improvement over the old stock manifold and Q-Jet which required at least 5 minutes of warm up and even at that sputtered quite a bit until fully warmed up. With the new carb there was no off idle hesitation or misfire all through the warm up. On the road the throttle response was light years better than the Q and the car rarely required more than just leaning a little on the pedal to maintail 50 to 60 mph. I didn't take it on the highway but managed a couple of sprints from 30 to 70 mph. Everything was smooth but I'm not quite sure I opened up the the secondaries because I kept running out of road quickly. The old combo always had an off idle hesitation and from 1000 to 2000 rpm it never felt like it was pulling as strongly as it should. This was completely eliminated in the new combo and the engine pulled strong all the way through the range. I also took the engine down to 800 rpm and lugged it in 4th gear and the engine didn't surge or complain at all. From 800 in 4th I floored it and it smoothly pulled away. All in all this has turned out to be a great experience and I would highly recommend this car to anyone. :thumbs:

[Modified by vettfixr, 8:41 AM 3/9/2003]
Old 03-09-2003, 10:48 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: Edelbrock Thunder Series Carb Update. On the Road. (vettfixr)

Glad to hear you are happy with your carb. Just saw these carbs in the latest Hot Rod Mag. Looks pretty cool. :thumbs:
Old 03-09-2003, 11:11 AM
Aaron76
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Edelbrock Thunder Series Carb Update. On the Road. (vettfixr)

I have thier preformer 600 and I have nothing but good things to say about them.
:D :D :D

Get notified of new replies

To Edelbrock Thunder Series Carb Update. On the Road.

Quick Reply: Edelbrock Thunder Series Carb Update. On the Road.