C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need info- Replacing front clip - '76 Stingray

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 05:11 AM
rayosequis
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need info- Replacing front clip - '76 Stingray

I have a '76 that needs to have a new front clip mounted. The old one is still on the car and I bought a used one. I have done basic body work (metal) before, but do not know how to go about removing the old one without destroying the bonding points or mounting the new one. As of yet I have not found any shops willing to do this for a reasonable price in the Houston area, and was once again considering doing this myself. Does anyone have any suggestions or instructions on how to do this ? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-09-2003, 09:09 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Need info- Replacing front clip - '76 Stingray (rayosequis)

The part that is the most difficult is getting the front end loose. To do that you need to use a chisel and get between the bonding seams at the door jamb and the front end and drive the chisel in so that you can get it broke loose. There are 2 bonding seams in front of each door that you need to get loose. I would suggest you purchase Ecklers Complete Guide to Fiberglass Repair. There is a section in there that covers installing a complete front end in detail. It would be a good idea to read it before you decide to tackle the job.

-Justin
Old 03-09-2003, 09:30 AM
79yellowlt1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Need info- Replacing front clip - '76 Stingray (rayosequis)

Here is a thread that I posted a while back for the same reason. It was in the forum archives. I got a lot of help here and could not have done this without the assistance of forum members. Mine came out great. Use the search whenever you can, chances are most questions have been asked and are in the archives. Good Luck!!
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=462618

Old 03-11-2003, 02:18 AM
rayosequis
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Need info- Replacing front clip - '76 Stingray (79yellowlt1)

Thanks for all of your help ! I have had this car for quite a while and its been really aggravating not to have any idea where to start fixing it. This definetely points me in the right direction. Thanks again.

Get notified of new replies

To Need info- Replacing front clip - '76 Stingray

Quick Reply: Need info- Replacing front clip - '76 Stingray