C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emergency question!!! Autocrossing tomorrow morning, car didn't want to start...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 12:15 AM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Emergency question!!! Autocrossing tomorrow morning, car didn't want to start...

Driving 2 hours down to Wichita tomorrow. Spent all day working on the car today, mostly putting in new wires. First time I fired it up all was good, second time things sounded funky and it turned out one of the boots had come off the plug! After that sounded okay again.

Went on to bleeding the brakes... came back later to start it...things sounded really funky again!! (sorry I don't know how to better describe it, just really rough sounding) and the time after that it turned and turned but wasn't firing at all. Everything smelled like gas, so I figured I flooded it by pumping too much... waited 20-30 minutes and came back, same thing happens (no fire.) So I stomped on the gas a few times and held it down the last time and it fired up, but I had to give alot of gas to keep it going. In a few seconds of doing this (round about 1500 r's per m) it smoothed out to its normal idle. Turned it off and restarted a few times and the first time it was a little weird, but every time since then it's been fine (perhaps as it warmed up?)

For the life of me I don't know what I could have done when changing the wires to cause this. I'm a bit of a novice so I'm hoping somebody who's well versed in the ways of the 350 could help me out. I want to do some racing tomorrow!! (my first time)

Thanks for the help of all you late-nighters ;-)

-Chris
Old 03-09-2003, 12:55 AM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Emergency question!!! Autocrossing tomorrow morning, car didn't want to start... (RUXperienced)

Couldn't tell you, but just to be safe I'd bring the old wires with in case something happens.
Old 03-09-2003, 01:01 AM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Emergency question!!! Autocrossing tomorrow morning, car didn't want to start... (Schmucker)

4 out of the 8 have their boots cut off, the jackass who rebuilt the engine ran them through the motor mounts! (less than a boot-sized hole, guess they were universal wires) The other four are also in the trash, a trash which I can't get to. I'll check back in the morning, 6 1/2 hours of sleep left!!

-Chris
Old 03-09-2003, 02:21 AM
Michael Tucker
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Emergency question!!! Autocrossing tomorrow morning, car didn't want to start... (RUXperienced)

RUXperienced,
go easy on the guy that did your rebuild. the wires go under the mounts. if you only changed the wires then thats all i can think of that is messed up. either its one of the new wires or you have a plug going bad. you will need a vom to check and see if the wires are all about the same resistance.

how do you like the Infinity 4x6 speakers? what other things have you done to it ie HU, rear speakers, or amp? i am getting ready to buy something in the audio department and am looking at the kappas
Mike
Old 03-09-2003, 02:55 AM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

Sounds like you just fouled out the plugs, Take it for a spin around the block a few times before you go on you trip and see if it stays cleared up. If you have the time before you go pull the plugs and if they look ok but damp then take a hair drier and dry them out and reinstall. Have fun at the autocross, my first time was last fall and had a great time :D

:cheers:
Pat Kunz
Old 03-09-2003, 07:47 AM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Emergency question!!! Autocrossing tomorrow morning, car didn't want to start...

Oops, yeh I was pretty aggrevated last night so no offense meant to the guy... We'll see if she starts up well this morning, I hope it is the plugs, and I'll pull them this morning if I can. I don't know what I could have done to the wires to mess them up, but if the plugs check out they're next.

The Infinitys are excellent, but like some said it may be overkill. They're really high quality which probably can't be appreciated when you're anything but parked with the engine off. Like you I have a very loud exhaust :cheers: I don't regret buying them at all, they do put out great sound, but if you're looking for the most cost effective route there's probably cheaper that would still be fine. No amps, rear speakers, or sub (10") yet. I plan to do all of that soon, hopefully this summer. It is very nice to be able to hear the speakers while moving, even if I can't appreciate their high quality ;)

A little caffeine in me and in 3 hours I'll be on the track! Wish me luck :cool: Thanks for all your help.

-Chris

Get notified of new replies

To Emergency question!!! Autocrossing tomorrow morning, car didn't want to start...

Quick Reply: Emergency question!!! Autocrossing tomorrow morning, car didn't want to start...