C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust cutouts on C3's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2003, 05:14 PM
SuprJames
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Exhaust cutouts on C3's?

Do any of you guys have exhaust cutouts? I'm looking to put some on my 82' and there aren't very many to choose from. There also isn't much room for them. My only requirement is that they're electric.

Something about sitting at a light and your car going from sounding like a bad street car to a REALLY bad drag car is just too appealing. :auto:
Old 03-08-2003, 06:13 PM
rob75383
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Exhaust cutouts on C3's? (SuprJames)

Here's a response I got from this company when I asked them about their electrical cutouts.

Rob
Offered in 2.25,2.5,3 and 3.5". Its a variable toggle switch. Open it
partial or all the way. Its not open/close.
Fell free to call me with any questions you might have.
We just moved. Our new phone number is 201-995-9933. Please make a note.
Thank You
Barry http://www.QuickTimePerformance.com
201-995-9933
http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/qtec.htm
Click on "customer QTEC's" on the left menu bar.
Scroll down and you'll see this dude's '76 vette install pics. (wonder if he's on this forum??)

I plan on getting a pair of 3" QTEC's, welding a flange on 'em, bolting them directly to the header collector. Then, I'll weld a 3" to 2.5" reducer to mate the Qtech with the true dual exhaust with dual cats. The bypass will just have some 3" turndowns, to controll the heat underneath. It'll be a little tight running the pipes around the TH400 linkage, so I'm gonna take it slow and plan things far ahead. About the switch, I have no idea where to put it just yet... I smoke, so I can't modify my ashtray like the dude did.

I like this kind of setup for the simple fact that I can get the quiet cruise sound, or the unbridled rumble of an open header, or somewhere in between. I can drive locally through the dual exhaust, and when I hit the highway, I can uncork her to get some free flowing power.

One thing I'm worried about is the smog police having a peek under the car before they sniff her tailpipes, and spotting the setup.
I guess if you get creative, you can make it removable section, and put a straight length of pipe to replace the bypass valve, then when you get home, put the Qtech back in. Another is the tuning issue. Shall you tune her to run great when she's uncorked, but then she'll be rich corked. Or, shall you tune her corked, and lose potential power when she's uncorked?
Ahh, the possibilities will probably keep me busy tinkering for years.
Old 03-09-2003, 06:46 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Re: Exhaust cutouts on C3's? (SuprJames)

I have conventional cut-outs (three wingnuts and remove a plate). They do work. I pick up 3 mph in the 1/4 mile with them open.

I placed mine at the rear crossmember (just in front of the rear wheels). I chose this location as I was worried about the exhaust dumping straight onto the fiberglass floor. Images of the floor on fire kept appearing in my mind... With them placed where I have them the exhaust dumps onto the steel crossmember, and then back to the diff area. Haven't had any problems with this setup.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:08 AM
kmobrien76
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it nice and loud even with them placed that far back?

thanks,

kevin

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust cutouts on C3's?

Quick Reply: Exhaust cutouts on C3's?