C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Im getting aggrevated with my car......

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2003, 04:15 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Im getting aggrevated with my car......

well i took it for a little ride(no insurance yet)so up and around the block and back again.For one the exuast is so loud i cant take it,the wife heard me all the way around the next block,and thats far,so i might be going back to the flowmasters out the back again.The other thing is its so loud im getting a high knock count and its retarding the timing a ton.Next thing is the tranny is going in and out of overdrive cruising at a low speed.I adjusted the tv pressure since i never did it before(mustve had a brain fart)and ill try it tommorrow ,should be fine.Next on the list is the vss buffer box i installed isnt working right,and wants to stall now when i stop real hard,never did it till i put it in,so ill be calling painless wiring and getting a vss adapter from them and then be able to use the factory speedo again.Now good part is it spins from first gear rolling at about 15 mph and right through second till i let off :D but flat up top(that being the timing being retarded do to the loud exuast)so overall im not really happy right now,i have to spend more money,take the sidepipes off which i liked the look and make a new trans. crossmember again to clear the exuast going back to the rear off the car again.Ill update you guys later on, on how many sticks of dynamite it takes to blow it up.But it sure looks good. :D Ill get it before the spring hits i never give up.
Old 03-08-2003, 05:48 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Im getting aggrevated with my car...... (patsnitrovette)

Two steps forward & 1 step back. :( Sounds like you'll be busy.

I backed mine out of the garage today for the first time in a month and found a little puddle of brake fluid leaking from the L rear. :cry It's gotta be the calipers because I already changed all the hard & soft lines in the back. :sad:
Old 03-08-2003, 05:49 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow that is alot going on. Sometimes you just gotta walk away from it for a while. Give it a break so to say. Forget about the car and take the wife out on the town for dinner and whatnot. Take a breather and then aproach it later with a newfound resolved attitude. You'll get it right eventually im sure.

:cheers: :smash:
Old 03-08-2003, 05:57 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

I'm sure you'll get the bugs all figured out Pat, just give it some time. When we go playing around with things after we get them straightened out, there always seems to be some bugs to resolve afterwards :rolleyes: . Hang in there buddy :crazy:
Old 03-08-2003, 06:14 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Im getting aggrevated with my car...... (SmokedTires)

yeah i know,thats why i came in and showered ,relax a bit,and look at it another day,but it just burns you up when you think you finally got it working right and then BAM it bites you in the ****.The good part is at least i can cruise in it if i have too,i sure wont be at the track with it this year i dont think.
Old 03-08-2003, 06:20 PM
phoenix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Pat, sorry to hear about the setbacks. :(

I'm taking notes so that I can have problems with other things... no sense in repeating the same ones. :D

I'm still getting the dash back together, then hopefully I'll get to pulling the engine. :crazy:
Old 03-08-2003, 08:36 PM
shotgun_000
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know the feeling too well :cuss

Taking a break always helps me out. I'm sure when you go back to it, things will work out.

Please don't blow it up :D I think I speak for most people when I say that we would travel to your house to lend you a hand before it went that far, although I'd be useless :jester

Keep us updated!
Old 03-08-2003, 08:56 PM
1971corvette
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 84 Posts

started mine up after TEN YEARS in storage :party:
Old 03-08-2003, 09:12 PM
OHSIXX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor 03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Default Re: Im getting aggrevated with my car...... (1971corvette)

Just take your time and it will all work out eventually. Everytime I think I am getting where I want to be the unexpected happens.
Old 03-08-2003, 09:27 PM
Clink69
Drifting

Pat,

I would hate to see those sidepipes go. What kind of baffles do you have now. Maybe you can just baffle it more. Mine were very quiet with the reverse flows , which you don;t want , but maybe something inbetween, maybe custom...?
Old 03-08-2003, 11:54 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Pat, I"m kinds shocked a loud exhause can retard the timing, which is controlled by knock sensor in bottom of block...you sure the exhaust is allowing a righ enough mix??? wonder if your O2 sensor is working right, if it's in the heat range necessary to light off.....

GENE
Old 03-09-2003, 07:28 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Im getting aggrevated with my car...... (mrvette)

im swapping the 02 sensor this morning for a new heated one,i had a 4 wire one in there and it took a crap,so i have the 1 wire back in there,i think thats alot of my problems so ill swap it this mornig and try again.I talked to afew guys saying there having the same problem with the timing and the knock sensor,ive even relocated it to trick it and its still doing it.i talked to the guy who made my prom yesterday and he wants me to do the heated o2 sensor first,also they said to replace the knock sensor and wrap in the teflon tape and leave it loose itll help.Ill try it and see how it is.
Old 03-09-2003, 08:10 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Im getting aggrevated with my car...... (SmokedTires)

I'm sure you'll get the bugs all figured out Pat, just give it some time.
Yeah... It took Volkswagon 50 years to get all the bugs out. :lolg: :lolg: :lolg:
Old 03-09-2003, 08:44 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Keep at it Pat. I always figure that GM had a staff of hundreds of engineers doing the same thing that we do in cramped garages. It just takes us longer to get all the gremlins out working alone. Good luck.
Old 03-09-2003, 09:31 AM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: Im getting aggrevated with my car...... (vettfixr)

Pat,
At first my TPI would not go past 70 mph. Timing was all over the place. It took four new chips to get it right. Stick with it.

I'm running the pass thru VSS and it works fine. I also located my knock sensor back in the clutch pivot hole. I had to retap it to NPT to make it fit. As far as I am concerned I do not want the computer reacting to engine knock. With a larger than normal cam, higher compression, and headers, just to many thinks to make it react.

Have you gone through and setup everything. IE throttle position sensor volts and making sure your throttle cable will open the blades to full open?

Also, what cam did you go with? What is the duration?

Louder than normal exhaust at low end with even the side pipe sounds suspect. "Timing" Exhaust gasses are still igniting in the pipes. Crank it up after dark and go for a ride. I bet you are throwing fire out if it is that loud. That also may be why the O2 bite it. Keep plugging away. :smash:
Old 03-09-2003, 10:20 AM
QuickVet
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Im getting aggrevated with my car...... (Jvette73)

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: Walk away for a while and take a break. Problems seem worse when your in the heat of it all.

[Modified by QuickVet, 10:21 AM 3/9/2003]
Old 03-09-2003, 10:30 AM
stickboy
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Im getting aggrevated with my car...... (QuickVet)

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: Walk away for a while and take a break. Problems seem worse when your in the heat of it all.
:iagree: I have to do it somedays :rolleyes:

Get notified of new replies

To Im getting aggrevated with my car......

Old 03-09-2003, 11:13 AM
Corz
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran

i sure wont be at the track with it this year i dont think.
dont worry, Another EB shark will take your place for a little while :seeya
Old 03-09-2003, 12:18 PM
wayne_69_427
Pro

Hang in there and give it some thought it will work out. I am still waiting for the weather to break to go for a ride. :steering:
Old 03-09-2003, 12:26 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Im getting aggrevated with my car...... (wayne_69_427)

Well i decided to toss the side exuast and go back,i just went for another little ride and they really annoyed me and the neighbors :D so ill sell the covers and the mufflers and go back to 2 1/2 with flowmasters which i liked the sound better anyway.Oh the heated 02 sensor helped a little bit its alittle better.

[Modified by patsnitrovette, 12:26 PM 3/9/2003]

Quick Reply: Im getting aggrevated with my car......