C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW MONOSPRING MOUNTING PROBLEMS

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2003, 12:35 PM
Runner81
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW MONOSPRING MOUNTING PROBLEMS

After having VBP GT coils, 330lb monospring (and kit) and Bilstein shocks installed on my ’81, I encountered big ride height increases, F&R. Trimming the coils solved the front-end problem, but even utilizing every bit of the included 8” spring bolts left my rear end height 1”+ over stock. VBP was nice enough to ship a set of 10” spring bolts, but my new mechanic noticed something very peculiar before going to work. The original installers (a southern NY state Corvette restoration outfit) chose to ignore the “mounting plate kit” part of the monospring package I paid them for, and inserted a raggedly cut 5” piece of the old monospring on top/center of the new spring as a spacer. Neither VBP’s mounting plate, nor the stock one, nor any other plate, were anywhere to be found. To add insult, the “custom spacer” had shifted significantly, and was nearing the slipping out point.

I ordered another mounting plate kit, but because my installation is so botched, there’s no visual frame of reference to work from - either from stock or VBP monospring installation. Do any of you monospring-wielding CFers happen to have an electronic image of how the installation is supposed to look. If so, please advise, send or post.

For you Smart Struts users, I’m also looking for images of these (installed) for reference. My mechanic has no experience with them, and all I have is the one photo from the VBP catalog. Any comments on how effective their instructions are?
Old 03-08-2003, 01:48 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Default Re: NEW MONOSPRING MOUNTING PROBLEMS (Runner81)

You got the little plastic plates, right?

My monospring is in my closet. It goes little plate on bottom, spring, another little plate on top of the spring, and the large plate on top of that. It's all held together w/ electrical tape.

-Steve

Quick Reply: NEW MONOSPRING MOUNTING PROBLEMS