C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid Question about Steriods?

Old 03-08-2003, 11:33 AM
jaybird81
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stupid Question about Steriods?

O.k. Please don't Laugh what are steriods? The kind for your Corvette, not the kind you take to get strong.
Old 03-08-2003, 11:51 AM
Bearcat
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Stupid Question about Steriods? (jaybird81)

That's "Steeroids". It's a retrofit rack and pinion steering system, designed to bolt right into a 2nd or 3rd generation Corvette, using the original holes already drilled into the frame from the factory. In otherwords, it's a completely reversible modification. You can go back to stock anytime you want, but I don't know why you'd want to.

Rack and pinion steering fixes the one handling problem that I think Corvettes have. Urethane bushings, stiffer springs, and Bilstein shocks improved the handling of my 68 dramatically, but it still has that vague OEM steering. And the original steering is so expensive to replace that it's actually cheaper to convert to the Steeroids rack and pinion system than it is to replace all the OEM components.

You might want to exercise caution if you're using headers. The steering shaft has a universal joint to "bend" into the R&P steering box, and I suspect it can cause some clearance issues with headers. Anybody have any experience with that?
Old 03-08-2003, 05:57 PM
J75
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Stupid Question about Steriods? (Bearcat)

No problem with Hooker comps.

Get notified of new replies

To Stupid Question about Steriods?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stupid Question about Steriods?