C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve stem seal replacement help needed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2003, 09:11 PM
mountainshark76
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve stem seal replacement help needed!!!

Now that my side pipes are on, the puff of smoke I get when I first start up is
even more :( I saw a killer link or thread that had step by step photos and instructions. Does anyone have a lead on this kind of info? help please!
Old 03-07-2003, 11:38 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Default Re: Valve stem seal replacement help needed!!! (mountainshark76)

Sorry mountainshark76 no lead on that thread. I did put "umbrella seals" on my new S/R Torquers though. Highly recommend umbrellas rather than stock 0-ring seals - my friends and head supplier did too. Also work better with iron guides than PC seals. No machining and bronze guides required - PC seals do. NAPA carries them for ~$7 and I think Pioneer makes them.
You can install them with the heads on using an air fitting in the sparkplug hole and at least 50 psi air. A friend of mine likes to fill the cylinder with rope instead - whatever - then remove the spring assembly.
Good luck. ;)
Old 03-11-2003, 10:24 AM
Milest
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Valve stem seal replacement help needed!!! (cardo0)

I did this last year and following is the procedure I used.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=210504
Old 03-11-2003, 07:54 PM
rob75383
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Valve stem seal replacement help needed!!! (mountainshark76)

Just my 2 cents...
I had a bad experience with umbrella seals and had to go to the aftermarket teflon seals instead.
I bought my heads assembled, and they came with the umbrella-style seals.
My problem occured with the valvespring's damper spring. The damper spirng inside the valvespring has a inner diameter that is basically the same size as the outer diameter of the umbrella seal, there was no operating clearance.
After about 2 months with the then brand-new heads, I pulled the valvecovers off and found all these little pieces of what later turned out to be the umbrella seals.
Because of the lack of clearance between the damper and the seal, eventually, when the damper compresses, it acted like a small set of scissors and cut up the valveseals.

I can't give any complaints about umbrella seals, I'm sure mine would've worked okay if the boneheads at world castings would've tested their setup better.

Get notified of new replies

To Valve stem seal replacement help needed!!!

Quick Reply: Valve stem seal replacement help needed!!!