C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Setting up a better IRS

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2003, 05:35 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setting up a better IRS

A few topics of discussion:
1. Why can't a rear supspension be set up like a Jaguar with the brakes closer to the pumpkin? This would lessen the unsprung weight and put more of the weight in the center of the car. How hard would it be to maching new differential yolks to accept the rotors? It would seem that it would be easy to build a bracket to hold aftermarket aluminum calipers. An aluminum hub could go where the rotor presently sits to make up for the thickness of the rotor.
2. To accommodate the above idea, how heavy are trailing arms? Could trailing arms be made from billet aluminum to save weight? Maybe someone has a better idea in regards to this. Seems to me that alot of improvements could be made. I don't have any machinery- just some ideas that are a little out of my reach right now. I have plenty other ideas, but I'll start off with this. Thanks in advance.....
Old 03-07-2003, 05:48 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Setting up a better IRS (79VetteMike)

Very interesting thoughts Mike :yesnod: .

I wonder if we could build something off the 30 spline Tom's axles :rolleyes: , this is why this forum is sooooooo expensive for me :lol: .

[Modified by SmokedTires, 5:50 PM 3/7/2003]
Old 03-07-2003, 05:57 PM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Setting up a better IRS (79VetteMike)

You just need to make this fit: http://www.dutchmanms.com/1_indep9rears.html
Old 03-07-2003, 05:57 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Setting up a better IRS (SmokedTires)

Are you doing this already? Does "Tom" have a website? That looks cool!!
Old 03-07-2003, 06:06 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Setting up a better IRS (Schmucker)

Wow Schumker that is one baaad looking rear :eek: . I can only imagine the width wheel you could fit under the car if the frame rails were moved in some :D ! The only other thing I'd change is moving the top of the shock mount to the inside for added wheel clearance ;) .

Mike, that's my posi & axles pictured. For Tom's website, go to the rearend section of my website ;) . I'm thinking that if you could mount a rotor between the inner axle & half shaft, then bolt a caliper bracket right off the rearend cover you could have something there :) .

[Modified by SmokedTires, 6:11 PM 3/7/2003]
Old 03-07-2003, 06:21 PM
flood
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the brakes near the pumpkin is cool. Saw it on a Lotus Esprit once.

The only drawbacks could be less airflow over the brakes, and more heat near the diff.

I also think that if there were such an advatage that the new cars like Vettes and Mustangs and Vipers would have this design.

It would be easier to reduce unsprung weight by getting ligther rims and tires. Also ligher brake components and some ceramic brakes from porsche would be helpful. :cheers:
Old 03-07-2003, 06:23 PM
BB68Vett
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Alfa Romeo Milano has the rear calipers and rotors in board near the rear differential. What a pain in the a** to change pads/calipers/rotors. You just about need to be a professional (with special tools) to do a brake job. No thanks for me, keep them where they are.
Old 03-07-2003, 06:40 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Setting up a better IRS (flood)

I also think that if there were such an advatage that the new cars like Vettes and Mustangs and Vipers would have this design.

Maybe it's a cost and convenience factor?

Ceramic sounds neato too!!! There is a museum in Jacksonville with a C2 that has all custom made aluminum trailing arms and chrome out the wazoo. It supposedly cost $3 million to build it. Hmm....

Get notified of new replies

To Setting up a better IRS

Quick Reply: Setting up a better IRS