C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all Carb/Choke Experts! Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2003, 01:57 PM
LABulldog
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Calling all Carb/Choke Experts! Need Help

I have the original carb and electric choke on my car. Lately it appears that the choke linkage is sticking after start-up because idle speed stays between 1500 and 2000 (makes for lousier gas mileage!). I can nudge the linkage and it will release and the the rpms will drop to a normal range of around 600-800. To add insult to injury, my choke light , which normally goes off after a couple of seconds, has started staying on continuously. Even after kicking the choke down, the light stays on. I can unplug the wire at the choke and the light will go out (plug it back in and the light goes on). The questions I have are these: 1) Is my choke acting up and if so, what can I do to fix it? & 2) Is the sticking linkage a precurser to a carb rebuild (I'd lay money that the carb has never been torn into.)? Any help, ideas, suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

:steering: & :seeya
Old 03-07-2003, 07:26 PM
clem zahrobsky
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Calling all Carb/Choke Experts! Need Help (LABulldog)

sounds like the oil pressure/choke power sender is bad. it is there to prevent the electric choke from getting power till the oil pressure comes up after the engines starts. it is located behind the distributor on a small block. you should see a full 12 volts at the choke wire as soon as the engine starts :chevy

[Modified by clem zahrobsky, 7:27 PM 3/7/2003]
Old 03-08-2003, 10:15 PM
LABulldog
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Calling all Carb/Choke Experts! Need Help (clem zahrobsky)

Thanks for the reply Clem. I do get oil pressure on my guage at start up. I'll check the voltage at the choke tomorrow. If I get less than 12 volts, would that suggest a bad sending unit also?
Old 03-08-2003, 10:54 PM
clem zahrobsky
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Calling all Carb/Choke Experts! Need Help (LABulldog)

check the choke voltage at startup and it should be 12 vdc and if it is not follow the wire to the sender and make sure you have a good connection. :chevy

Get notified of new replies

To Calling all Carb/Choke Experts! Need Help

Quick Reply: Calling all Carb/Choke Experts! Need Help