C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes on my '71

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2003, 11:54 AM
ben992
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes on my '71

Last time I got in my wife's '71 (that hasn't ran in about 7 years) after I started it, I pushed in on the brake pedal and it went to the floor. I parked it after only moving about 2 feet. Looking underneath it, I found a large puddle of brake fluid. What would you say is bad? The puddle came out directly under the driver's side close to the back of the front tire. Master cylinder??? Am I going to have to go through the entire brake system since the car hasn't been on the road in so long? Corvette brakes are very expensive aren't they? Will I have to rebuild the calipers and wheel cylinders?

Help!

Ben

[Modified by ben992, 4:55 PM 3/7/2003]
Old 03-07-2003, 01:41 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Brakes on my '71 (ben992)

Find that leak, could Master cylinder, a line, distribution block. Yes it does cost a little to update to the better caliper setup, but then you will be done with it.....

Check with Vette Brakes, they are a vendor here. :thumbs:
Old 03-07-2003, 02:36 PM
ben992
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Brakes on my '71 (71,454,4spd)

I feel stupid for not knowing but does a 71 has disc brakes front and rear or just in the front???

Ben
Old 03-07-2003, 02:47 PM
71'AirStrike
Melting Slicks

dont feel stupid mate :grouphug:

diskon all 4 wheels. plus a "gm bastardise" drum like setup for the parking brake on the reel wheels.

There is a lot of rubber with the brake system, that can get old. one of the first things I did with my 71 when I got her was do the brakes.

not to scare you but the odds are you will need:
new brake lines
remanfactured callapers
possible new roters
certinally vaccume brake booster (if there is one)
50/50 chance of a remanfactured/ new master cyclnder

if you are doing this in one fail swoop, and you have power sterring I strongly suggest the http://www.hydroboost.com system. I swear my life by it.

Look in the tech papers for a how to on it
cheers
chad
Old 03-07-2003, 02:56 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: Brakes on my '71 (71'AirStrike)

dont feel stupid mate :grouphug:

diskon all 4 wheels. plus a "gm bastardise" drum like setup for the parking brake on the reel wheels.

There is a lot of rubber with the brake system, that can get old. one of the first things I did with my 71 when I got her was do the brakes.

not to scare you but the odds are you will need:
new brake lines
remanfactured callapers
possible new roters
certinally vaccume brake booster (if there is one)
50/50 chance of a remanfactured/ new master cyclnder

if you are doing this in one fail swoop, and you have power sterring I strongly suggest the http://www.hydroboost.com system. I swear my life by it.

Look in the tech papers for a how to on it
cheers
chad
Fix them right.................It is IMPORTANT to be able to stop :cheers: :yesnod:
Old 03-07-2003, 03:02 PM
ben992
Heel & Toe

This may be a stupid question but if there are discs in the rear how can their be a drum setup for the parking brake?

Ben
Old 03-07-2003, 03:04 PM
ben992
Heel & Toe

Where are these tech papers you speak of?
Old 03-07-2003, 03:06 PM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can do one of 2 things: 1) Park it and forget about for 7 more years or 2) Fix the brakes right. I was totally replacing my parking brake system when I noticed my rear calipers were weeping. I replaced them with Advance Auto lifetime guarantee replacements (the fronts were dry so I left them alone), new stainless lines to 4 wheels, new fluid. All the hard lines had been replaced at some point in the past (I know this because they left the old ones in place!) so I didn't have to do those. My point is: examine all parts of the system. R&R any bad or suspect parts. Alwyn is right, brakes are too important to do it half-butt.

Brett :thumbs:
Old 03-07-2003, 03:24 PM
stingry
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Ben,

The drum brake is inside the rear disk brake rotors on the rear wheels. It is the mecahnical way the car is held in place when parked as the disk brakes are hydraulic. The drum brakes are called either "emergency brakes or park brakes. They should never wear out but often seize due to lack of use, greas and brake dust gumming them up or corrosion. If you do replace it go with Stainless Steel Hardware.

Just got my vette a few months ago and had a similar problem.

Check out http://www.CorvetteFaq.com. Also look at http://www.vettebrakes.com. There is also heaps of info on brake parts in Ecklers and MidAmerica catalogs.

Look for the "Vett Improvement Program" on the CorvetteFaq web page. It is a copy of several articles written in Vette Fever about ten years ago. Tells you lot of info on how to fix problems with C3s (what they call 63-82 Vettes).

Have a read but also get someone in your neighbourhood who knows Vettes to have a look at it before you shell out heaps of cash. If you haven't already joined a Corvette Club now is a good time. Good fun, good people and plenty of experience with the problems (and fun) you are about to go through.

A full brake job on a Vette will set you back close to $1000, most of it being parts. Typical costs are:

Cheap Rotors - $60 each - $240
Semi-Metallic Pads (more aggressive then organic) $70
Exchange Calipers (S/S lined) $70 each -$280
New Stainless Flex Brake lines (instead of Rubber) $70 for four
New Master Cyclinder (about???) $120
Fluid $20
Booster $???
Labour ??? ($30-$70 an hour)

Definitely check out the hydroboost system. If you want serious anchors then they are the way to go. Just make sure the system is leakproof before you go and add all that pressure to the system.

Good luck.
:)

Get notified of new replies

To Brakes on my '71

Quick Reply: Brakes on my '71