C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference Between "Chrome" and "Flash Chrome" Valve Covers

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2003, 11:04 AM
71DropTop
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference Between "Chrome" and "Flash Chrome" Valve Covers

On 71 Big Blocks all the Vin #s up to 4000 had "Flash Chrome" valve covers!
My vin is under 4000 and mine are painted but that could have been done by a previous owner. probably underneath the paint they are chrome but I doubt it !! anyway what is the difference and does flash chrome not look as good?? Does anyone have any pictures of flash chrome?? :cheers:
Old 03-07-2003, 11:45 AM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 432 Likes on 256 Posts

Default Re: Difference Between "Chrome" and "Flash Chrome" Valve Covers

Don,

"Flash chrome" is more or less a catch phrase in the hobby used to describe the cheap, industrial chrome plating used on valve covers, ignition shielding, and other parts. There is generally very little preparation work done to the part itself; sanding scratches, die marks, and grinding are very apparent through the chrome finish and the chrome finish itself, while having a slight luster, is not mirror like.

Most of the chrome parts sold today through the aftermarket are MUCH better in finish quality than what the factory used. This is especially true of items like valve covers... Most people refurbishing these cars want nice, new, "shiny" parts to install. There is a very limited market for parts that are poorly finished and plated, but that's the way that they were originally.

As for your particular car, I wouldn't jump the gun and take off your current valve covers just yet. I gather that your information is coming from the NCRS Technical Information Manual & Judging Guide; however, the changes in procedure/parts sometimes occured intermittently over a range of cars. This is quite possible in the case of an engine which was built at another plant (Tonawanda, NY in your case) and shipped to St. Louis for installation in a Corvette. Depending on any number of conditions, an earlier chrome valve cover engine may have sat around while later painted valve cover engines were installed... Things like that happened all the time. If your VIN isn't too far away from the published VIN of 4,000, then I'd be inclined to assume normal production variation... As would most reasonable people should you ever have your car judged.

Out of curiosity Don, how much earlier is your car from VIN 4,000 and what is the assembly date for your engine?

Regards,
Old 03-07-2003, 01:32 PM
71DropTop
Racer

Default Re: Difference Between "Chrome" and "Flash Chrome" Valve Covers (Rowdy Rat)

Thanks Stan, as for the Vin# it is 01598.. engine assembly date I don't have with me Because I'm at the office. I have decided to try and strip the paint to see if they are really Chrome :cheers:
Old 03-07-2003, 08:38 PM
71DropTop
Racer

Default Re: Difference Between "Chrome" and "Flash Chrome" Valve Covers (Rowdy Rat)

And yes they are chrome under about 3 coats on unmatched chevy orange :rolleyes: what to do what to do???????
Old 03-07-2003, 08:57 PM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Difference Between "Chrome" and "Flash Chrome" Valve Covers (71DropTop)

"what to do what to do???????"

Send that update on chrome under the covers to the registry. Oh ya, I know about it now.
AND I'd go with the chrome.

Larry
Old 03-07-2003, 09:03 PM
71DropTop
Racer

Default Re: Difference Between "Chrome" and "Flash Chrome" Valve Covers (lbell101)

Hey larry, fix the update on the valve covers on the 71 registry page :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: BTW the 71 page still looks great but we need more 71's.... Great Job Keep it up!!!!!!!
Old 03-07-2003, 09:06 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Default Re: Difference Between "Chrome" and "Flash Chrome" Valve Covers (lbell101)

A guy I knew had a '71 War Bonnet Yellow LS-5 coupe VIN#3322, build date of Dec 7, 1970 and it had the "chrome" valve covers. Car was a "Survivor" type car and did'nt appear the covers had ever been changed.
Old 03-07-2003, 09:12 PM
71DropTop
Racer

Default Re: Difference Between "Chrome" and "Flash Chrome" Valve Covers (Paul Borowski)

Paul , Is the car still around and will you post that info on the 71 registry.
Old 03-07-2003, 09:52 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Default Re: Difference Between "Chrome" and "Flash Chrome" Valve Covers (71DropTop)

Paul , Is the car still around and will you post that info on the 71 registry.
Can't really, don't even know if the guy has the car. Kinda parted ways.

Get notified of new replies

To Difference Between "Chrome" and "Flash Chrome" Valve Covers

Quick Reply: Difference Between "Chrome" and "Flash Chrome" Valve Covers