C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine builder pushing SBC over BBC???

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 11:06 AM
ricketyray
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine builder pushing SBC over BBC???

I was locked and loaded for 540ci BBC from AR. But they've been persistently pushing me towards SBC for the weight and cost savings.

My 73 is originally BB car; what's involved with putting a SBC in a BB car?

I already have the dewitt Rad/dual electric fan combo... new side pipes and headers were already on the to-do list. What else is there? :confused:
Old 03-06-2003, 11:16 AM
71'AirStrike
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Engine builder pushing SBC over BBC??? (ricketyray)

I am not a super engine guru....Butt (big subject) this question has been asked many times. Here is the general consensus:

1: BB are about 200 lbs heaver than SB

2: It will cost less to make a 454 BB than a SB overbored to 454 cu.in.

3: there is no replacement for displacement

IMO a vette with a BB holds more value, than a SB.

good luck with your choice
cheers
chad
Old 03-06-2003, 11:19 AM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Accessory brackets. Is your front end gonna be jacked up after losing bout 200 lbs? Would prolly be easier to just get another BB. I would...but then i'm a little prejudiced. :lol: :lol:

Brett :thumbs:
Old 03-06-2003, 11:34 AM
ricketyray
Instructor

Default Re: Engine builder pushing SBC over BBC??? (71'AirStrike)

...1: BB are about 200 lbs heaver than SB...
I wonder what 200 lbs up front does to cornering speeds and braking?

3: there is no replacement for displacement
:iagree:
Old 03-06-2003, 11:39 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Chack out the new 454ci small block from the latest Jeg's catalog, gives you BB displacement with small block weight. And it's got the power too. 600hp with 10:8CR :cool:
Old 03-06-2003, 11:54 AM
ricketyray
Instructor

Default Re: Engine builder pushing SBC over BBC??? (Brettmc)

Accessory brackets. Is your front end gonna be jacked up after losing bout 200 lbs? Would prolly be easier to just get another BB. I would...but then i'm a little prejudiced. :lol: :lol:

Brett :thumbs:
Even if I go with the 540ci BBC, I already pulled out the A/C, got a glass front monospring, allum Rad, and was also going with allum heads... the frame has also been significantly lightened by time, and a sand blaster. :cheers:
Old 03-06-2003, 11:58 AM
ricketyray
Instructor

Default Re: Engine builder pushing SBC over BBC??? (groovyjay)

Chack out the new 454ci small block from the latest Jeg's catalog, gives you BB displacement with small block weight. And it's got the power too. 600hp with 10:8CR :cool:
:cool: :thumbs:

That's a lot of ci's for a SB. Wonder what bore and crank combo they used to get that.... think it will hold up? wonder how it does on pump gas?
Old 03-06-2003, 05:19 PM
JoeC427
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It all depends on what your real intentions are to do with it. Drive on Weekends, drag race whenever, burn the hell out the rears occasionally,
Live life to the fullest. THERE ONLY ONE ANSWER!!!! BBC!! The 540 is the way I'm going, and there's no way in :reddevil a SBC will ever grace the framerails again. I can't believe there telling you that unless you plan on road racing or doing alot of autocrossing. You already have the brackets and pulleys and all that other BS you need when converting from small to big so stay with Big Cu In.. I see this topic often, and for me I view our C3's as heavy cars. Mine weighed 3475 with my steel head 427, but it felt quick like a small block. It also ran 12.17 with mild mods, hydraulic cam ect. You could build a low compression 540 that would run faster than that with a/c ect.
AR? I thought those guys were small block dudes anyway. Call Sonny Leonard or someone who know BBC's and get there opinion. The only small block cars I see that will run well with some street manners are the Cartek C5's and some forum members who have truly figued out big cu in small blocks. Who wants to shift at 8000 to make power and expect to have an engine that still runs in 5years. I'm sure Ill get some flames from the small block dudes. But hey thats why it's forum right?
Good luck, just my.02 worth.
:flag
Old 03-06-2003, 05:22 PM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Since you already have a big block you should get another, but small blocks are better.
Old 03-06-2003, 06:55 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have a '73 big block car that's all set for the 540 you've been planning, and now you want to ditch that idea and install a low-budget small block from AR? No way, forget it, can't happen. Don't be silly... :D I've owned big and small block cars, and I like the bigger small blocks, but I'd never remove a big block for a small block. Never! :cuss
Old 03-06-2003, 07:24 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 387 Likes on 235 Posts

Default Re: Engine builder pushing SBC over BBC??? (Schmucker)

small blocks are better.
Opinions vary.

:lol:

[Modified by Corey 68, 6:57 PM 3/6/2003]
Old 03-06-2003, 09:33 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Engine builder pushing SBC over BBC??? (Corey 68)

It's harder to make the same HP with a small block & may not be as reliable (more stress & limits being pushed with the sbc). There are some awesome smallblocks out there today, but if you already have/ had a BBC in your car, then I would stick with the bib block. Cubic inches= torque= seat of the pants pulling :D . Zora's favorite Corvette was his 1974 454, he sad it was the best, most comfortable cruising Corvette he ever owned ;) .
Old 03-07-2003, 01:33 AM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out the new 454ci small block from the latest Jeg's catalog, gives you BB displacement with small block weight. And it's got the power too. 600hp with 10:8CR :cool: :cool: :thumbs:

That's a lot of ci's for a SB. Wonder what bore and crank combo they used to get that.... think it will hold up? wonder how it does on pump gas?
The World Small Block is bored out 4.250 with a 4.000 Stroke=454 ci....This crate engine will take a month to make if you have the patience. Should be able to spank a lot of performance cars on the street or on the track.....Make sure you have all the driveline components beefed up too.....including the correct set of gears and stall converter if you have an auto trans......MT ET Streets are a must if you are 1/4 mile racing......or the tires will go up in smoke with just a tap......Good luck in your choices....But remember.....
He who knows not and knows not that he knows not...is a fool...Shun Him.
He who knows not and knows that he knows not is simple...Teach Him.
He who knows and knows not that he knows is asleep....Waken Him.
He who knows and knows that he knows is wise....Follow Him.

:seeya Cappy
Old 03-07-2003, 01:45 AM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Re: Engine builder pushing SBC over BBC??? (8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE)

opinions are like (!) everybody has one, I have had both and prefer torque and reliability of BBC.....cubic inches rule, by the way I have small and big block and will build big block to replace the small block hopefully this year. :D will store small block :cheers:
Old 03-07-2003, 02:09 AM
BB73Chris
Instructor

How much cylinder wall is there with 4.25 bores on a sbc? I have a 400 and it's close already with just 4.155 (.30 over). By the way, if you go with the smallblock every time you open the hood you'll have to tell everybody how cool it is and how many cubes and how much power it makes and stuff but if you go with the big block all you have to do is open the hood and they go :eek: ...
I kinda like the 'cool factor' (or i mean... i will like the cool factor)
Old 03-07-2003, 09:11 AM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't do it............
:nonod: :chevy :chevy :nonod:
Old 03-07-2003, 10:09 AM
ricketyray
Instructor

Default Re: Engine builder pushing SBC over BBC??? (MassVette)

The SBC has a lot of appeal... I like the weight savings, although the cost get's as high as a BB when you go for big hp...

But, that said, I think I'll have to stay on task with the 540ci BBC...

I think I've already got over 100lb's out the front end with changes mentioned above, and I have a few more ideas I'm rolling around too...

In terms of cost; the plan of using a zz502 block w/ a 4.25 crank, and quality heads and internals isn't breaking the budjet yet...

Most importantly; I'm afraid if I tried to put a SBC in my BB 73 the BB folks from the forum would find out where I live and start planning an intervention. :lol: :lol: :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Engine builder pushing SBC over BBC???

Old 03-07-2003, 10:56 AM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The SBC has a lot of appeal... I like the weight savings, although the cost get's as high as a BB when you go for big hp...

I think I've already got over 100lb's out the front end with changes mentioned above, and I have a few more ideas I'm rolling around too...

In terms of cost; the plan of using a zz502 block w/ a 4.25 crank, and quality heads and internals isn't breaking the budjet yet...

Most importantly; I'm afraid if I tried to put a SBC in my BB 73 the BB folks from the forum would find out where I live and start planning an intervention. :lol: :lol: :cheers:
Good choice!

Take a good look at the Gen VI 502 block issue before you make that decision. I though long and hard about that option, but the GM based 540 would have cost me more in the end that the Merlin II block that I wound up with (and the Merlin is much stronger). The Merlin (or Dart Big-M) is a Mark IV design, so everything is cheaper. With the 502 block, you need a Gen VI specific valvetrain due to the extra tall lifter bores, timing set and cover, electric fuel pump, Gen VI oil pan, etc. It adds up fast. The 502s are great crate engines, but for a ground-up build there are better choices, IMO (unless you can get the stuff cheap!)
Old 03-07-2003, 11:35 AM
JoeC427
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

:party: :party: :party:

:cheers:
Old 03-07-2003, 12:24 PM
ricketyray
Instructor

Default Re: Engine builder pushing SBC over BBC??? (Flareside)

Good look-out! :thumbs: I'm going to chase down that option too. :)

Any word on when we'll be seeing the zz572 on sale and the cost?

Quick Reply: Engine builder pushing SBC over BBC???