C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Manifold French Locks

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 11:50 PM
nada
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Manifold French Locks

Hi folks. I see in my AIM, engine book, and most vendor's catalogs that there are French Locks for the exhaust manifold bolts. I looked at my car's manifolds tonight and I couldn't see these French Locks. Can they be seen when installed on the car?

Thanks, Rick in Tennessee
Old 03-06-2003, 12:13 AM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 436 Likes on 257 Posts

Default Re: Exhaust Manifold French Locks

Rick,

I expect your 1971 small block would have had these french locks installed from the factory on the front and rear exhaust manifold ports (the center did not receive one), but it is quite possible that they were removed at some point if the manifolds were removed or simply rusted away (they aren't that durable). The tabs at the ends of each french lock are usually easy to see... If they're there, you should be able to see them protruding by the outermost manifold bolts.

The original french locks were stamped steel with rounded locking tabs; most reproductions available are stainless steel with with squared locking tabs. If NCRS or Bloomington Gold judging is in your future, the tabs can be rounded off like the originals, but the material is difficult to hide from the judges. If you just wish to install them for functional reasons, then the current reproductions will serve the purpose just fine.

Regards,

Quick Reply: Exhaust Manifold French Locks