C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather vs Leather-like

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 04:58 PM
RedBlazed
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leather vs Leather-like

What's the difference? (feel, maintenance, durability) I wanted to go towards leather seats when I take care of my interior (I have vinyl right now), but it's kinda expensive. I've noticed some places selling "leather-like" at a much more reasonable price for me. I was wondering if someone has experienced both and could tell me the trade-offs beside price...thanx
Old 03-05-2003, 05:06 PM
bamavettes
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Leather vs Leather-like (RedBlazed)

I have had both. I like the leatherette. It looks good and holds up good. It is not as much upkeep as leather. It does not crack.

Here is leatherette I installed a few months ago in a 1971.

Old 03-05-2003, 05:13 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Keep in mind the Chinese, who else, in a drive to be allways the cheapest product out there, have a new process now a daze to split the leather into thinner and thinnner pieces and finish each one to a decent standard...been done for years...but now a daze they laminate some sort of plastic in between to thin leather sheets, and call it leather.....look for it in car interiors soon enough....
of course it's not a strong, long lasting or durable as the real thing....

GENE
Old 03-05-2003, 08:53 PM
dukvet76
Pro

Here's a pic of my 76 seats done in the leather-like material. I paid $100 for them from the now defunct John's Corvette. Good quality, but REALLY hot in the sun. Watch the back of your knees getting in your car!

Before

After

I just recently redid my new 86 seats with the leather-like material as well. Here's a couple shots of the before and after:

Before

After

What I like about the 86 is that I got them without the preforations which makes them look alot better! I would recommend getting new foam no matter which way you choose to go. If you need some help with recovering, click on the link below. They do explain the C4 seats, but the ideas the same for the C3 seats:

http://www.mnsi.net/~stingray/116-1671_IMG.JPG
Old 03-05-2003, 09:50 PM
LRPMAN
Advanced

My 2 cents! Being in the leather restoration business. I like Real Leather. It can be RETORED to its original color and feel, OR you can CHANGE its color. We are going from red to Lt Saddle in our 1980 Coupe.
The Cons of leather is IF YOU GET a CHEAP leather you will never be happy. The Leather in 90% of the vettes we send products for is the original factory leather. It is a little worn or dirty or hard. The customer for around $110.00 can restore all the leather interior.
I did a seminar at the cruise in in 2000 at Bowling Green on this subject.
SO, get REAL LEATHER, of course use our products, keep a bar of IVORY BAR SOAP and a BABY DIAPER HANDY ( this helps clean the leather) and you will enjoy the "KING OF INTERIORS" Leather. :cheers:
Old 03-05-2003, 10:28 PM
lobwedge
Racer

Default Re: Leather vs Leather-like (LRPMAN)

Question LRPMAN LOOKING TO REDO MY 1980 SEATS ECKLERS MID AMERICAN ZIP WILLCOX WHICH DO YOU RECCOMEND IF ONE IS BETTER THAN ANOTHER ANY INPUT WOULD BE WELCOME
THANKS
WAYNE OUT :flag :grouphug:
Old 03-06-2003, 08:09 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Leather vs Leather-like (lobwedge)

Question LRPMAN LOOKING TO REDO MY 1980 SEATS ECKLERS MID AMERICAN ZIP WILLCOX WHICH DO YOU RECCOMEND IF ONE IS BETTER THAN ANOTHER ANY INPUT WOULD BE WELCOME
THANKS
Ditto!
And what nobody has mentioned is that with leather you get the smell of real leather.
:cheers:
Old 03-06-2003, 09:02 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Leather vs Leather-like (UKPaul)

ECKLERS MID AMERICAN ZIP WILLCOX WHICH DO YOU RECCOMEND IF ONE IS BETTER THAN ANOTHER ANY INPUT WOULD BE WELCOME
THANKS
Lobwedge & U.K. Paul: HI PAUL! :seeya Corvette America has "Driver Quality" leather seat covers (black only) for a good price, but the best leather price I've seen is from TLD (The Last Detail)
Eddie
Old 03-06-2003, 09:21 AM
LRPMAN
Advanced

Default Re: Leather vs Leather-like (lobwedge)

IDO NOT have a bullet proof answer. The Ecklers product LOOK GOOD but have not seen it in person. Mid America sounds good with the installation of the covers for you. We use http://www.gahh.com for all our pre made leather kits. We use only Connolly hides for our restorations. With Connolly out of business it is going to be a crap shoot on the next car.
On our 1980 (sorry, WIFES 1980) we are just going to redye the interior from red to Lt saddle or Oyster. :cheers:
Old 03-06-2003, 09:26 AM
kfede1
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Leather vs Leather-like (LRPMAN)

I got the Ecklers "Driver Quality" Leather seats recently. I can not find any issues with them, THey are pretty much perfect, with no visible leather flaws. I am ususlly pretty picky, and have returned other ecklers merchandise. (There exhausts systems are "Draw bent" not mandrel bent - returned, and their brake console is unworthy of even a Vega.)
Old 03-06-2003, 09:47 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Leather-like outlasts Leather.. Leather also needs a lot of care... so - I went with vinyl leather-like covers on my 68'... So far I have them for 2 years and no signs of wear at all...

Olivier
Old 03-07-2003, 12:00 PM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Leather vs Leather-like (Silvr77)

I've got vinyl seat covers that look like leather (don't know what they're sold as because a previous owner had fitted them). They clean up perfectly & look good, BUT the drivers seat cushion had a tiny split in one of the stitched seams when I got it. The split, no matter how careful I am, just keeps spreading. A downside of vinyl :(
Hi Eddie!
Hope everything's :cool: Thanks for the info, I'll look them up when I've recovered from my latest spending frenzy :) Have you got any motorcycle jacket leather cleaner/treatment? I tried it on some leather seats & it cleaned them up really well (far better than the "Leather Restorer For Car Upholstery" that I'd bought!).
Old 03-07-2003, 11:09 PM
BeachinVette
Drifting

Go Leather ::: I just got these back. You can't beat how soft they are:

Bob
Old 03-08-2003, 12:27 AM
DMONSVETTE
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What's the difference? (feel, maintenance, durability) I wanted to go towards leather seats when I take care of my interior (I have vinyl right now), but it's kinda expensive. I've noticed some places selling "leather-like" at a much more reasonable price for me. I was wondering if someone has experienced both and could tell me the trade-offs beside price...thanx
I was wondering the same thing lastnight while looking through my catalogs.
Thanks everyone for sharing their thoughts and pics.
:cheers: :seeya
Old 03-10-2003, 10:36 AM
mbeeman350
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'07-'09

Default Re: Leather vs Leather-like (Ed T)

Ed, I have a 72 that I need to replace the seat covers. I liked the $114 price tag for your leather-like covers!!! Where did you buy them?
Thanks
Mark :chevy
Old 03-10-2003, 12:58 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Leather vs Leather-like (UKPaul)

Hi Eddie! Have you got any motorcycle jacket leather cleaner/treatment? I tried it on some leather seats & it cleaned them up really well (far better than the "Leather Restorer For Car Upholstery" that I'd bought!).
UK Paul: :iagree: :yesnod: :iagree: :yesnod: Oh yeah...if it can clean bugs..grime..exhaust soot.. and road dirt off my jacket, it does wonders for seats!!!
Eddie
Old 03-10-2003, 02:41 PM
mbeeman350
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'07-'09

Default Re: Leather vs Leather-like (Ed T)

Ed thanks for the info. I checked the website for Wilcox Corvettes.. Very good pricing. I am going to give them a try. I have been using Corvette Central, The Last Detail, Corvette Forum and of course good ol' Ebay
Mark :cheers:
Old 03-10-2003, 04:48 PM
Rich80
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I was always under the impression that the leather-like covers would be hard and not as comfortable as a leather covers but it sounds like thay are ok... Good Info! :cheers:
Old 03-10-2003, 06:42 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 143 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Leather vs Leather-like (BeachinVette)

Go Leather ::: I just got these back. You can't beat how soft they are:

Bob
:iagree:

Get notified of new replies

To Leather vs Leather-like

Quick Reply: Leather vs Leather-like