C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New heads-- cockpit temp sensor

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 01:15 PM
8T8T2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New heads-- cockpit temp sensor

Just installed new heads and was exchanging cockpit temp. sensor. Low and behold the orginal GM temp sensor is larger than the hole drilled in the new heads. I'm sure many of you have run into this problem. Can we get a new sending unit that matches our temp. gauge with the smaller diameter threads that will fit new heads.
Thanks
Old 03-05-2003, 08:14 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

Default Re: New heads-- cockpit temp sensor (82zoom)

I'm using Vortec heads on my 77 and I had the same problem. I relocated the original sending unit (sensor) to the intake manifold. This is an Edelbrock unit with a tapped hole near the thermostat housing. You'll have to extend the wire on the sending unit to do this. It works fine.
Old 03-05-2003, 08:38 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: New heads-- cockpit temp sensor (BKbroiler)

I'm using Vortec heads on my 77 and I had the same problem. I relocated the original sending unit (sensor) to the intake manifold. This is an Edelbrock unit with a tapped hole near the thermostat housing. You'll have to extend the wire on the sending unit to do this. It works fine.
I had the same problem with my SR Torquer heads. Unfortunately I had the original intake manifold so I couldn't relocate the sensor. I ended up drilling the heads and tapping them. Very scary for an amateur to do but it worked and I haven't had any problem or leaks yet. You could take them to a machine shop and have them do the drilling and tapping. I don't think they would charge too much but I could be wrong.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:19 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: New heads-- cockpit temp sensor (BKbroiler)

I relocated the original sending unit (sensor) to the intake manifold. This is an Edelbrock unit with a tapped hole near the thermostat housing. You'll have to extend the wire on the sending unit to do this. It works fine.
I did this too, but just remember that head temp fluid is a few degrees hotter than intake. Your rad hose might get in the way of the intake connection too. A different connector might be needed.
Eddie
Old 03-06-2003, 10:44 AM
8T8T2
Racer

Thanks guys for input. Unfortunate the heads are already installed so having them drilled and tapped is not a option. After doing some searches I see there has been some research on this problem, resistors to compensate ect.. One suggestion that nobody dwelled on was to add a fitting to the sensor that would fit the head. I forget the official name but it's the opposite of a reducer. The sensor would not stick into the head but would still be in contact with the coolant. Has anyone tried this?
Old 03-06-2003, 12:56 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

I've encountered this problem as well and haven't solved it yet. I am interested in what you come up with. I was thinking along the same lines as you. Either a smaller sender or a reducer for the sender threads. I just rigged a different gauge and have been using that. I need to get the original working again.
Old 03-06-2003, 08:38 PM
J75
Racer

Default Re: New heads-- cockpit temp sensor (burners)

Same here.I can tell you that the smaller sending units, as for an 80 read low.Real low.I've thought about an adapter also,just have not got around to trying it.Would be real interested in what anyone comes up with.I would like to keep mine in the stock location,otherwise I would have gone the manifold route.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:37 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: New heads-- cockpit temp sensor (J75)

it goes in the intake now...

Get notified of new replies

To New heads-- cockpit temp sensor

Quick Reply: New heads-- cockpit temp sensor