C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dimmer switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 12:42 PM
akvette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dimmer switch

Dimmer switch went out on my 81 that has a tilt/tele steering wheel. For those of you who have had to change the dimmer switch, any advice? Also, does this require any specialty tools other than a steering wheel puller? Thanks in advance.

Akvette

Old 03-05-2003, 01:00 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Dimmer switch (akvette)

As I recall, none other than patience. :seeya
Old 03-05-2003, 03:00 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

If it is just the actual switch that is bad, you don't even have to pull the steering wheel. However, if the switch itself is not getting actuated, the problem may be in the actuator rod or pivot section which is up in the column head. Then, you have to pull the wheel and disassemble the column.

The switch itself is mounted on the left side of the steering column down under the dash. Disconnect your battery. Remove the lower dash panel under the steering column. You should see a rod coming down out of the column head and attaching to the dimmer switch. Pull on the turn signal lever, does the rod move? If the rod isn't moving your problem is in the pivot mounted in the column head. If the rod moves and you can you hear an audible "click" from the switch then your problem is in the switch or somewhere else in the headlight circuit in the car. If the rod moves and you do not hear an audible "click" you can try adjusting the switch so that it "clicks". Your switch may only require a slight adjustment to get things working again.

I think you can do the following without dropping the column. If you think it is a bad switch there are two ways to check it. First you can check continuity between the following terminals on the switch. The terminal with the light blue/light green wire and the terminal with the light blue/tan wire. Fully depress the switch (audible click).
No continuity - replace the switch.
Continuity - problem is in the car somewhere between the switch and the headlamps.

Here is the other approach. Go purchase another switch. Take it back to the car, disconnect the connector from the column dimmer switch and reattach it to the new switch. Connect the battery and see if your headlights switch between high and low beams when you actuate the new switch by hand. If they work with the new switch and not the old. You have only to mount the new switch to the column.

If your problem is in the column head because the dimmer actuator rod does not move, you are going to have to pull the steering wheel and disassemble the column so you can get at the housing that holds the dimmer pivot. If you need to replace the pivot, I think you are going to need to order GM part #7833704.

I have written several papers on disassembly and repair of the C3 steering columns (both standard and T&T). They are posted at http://www.corvettefaq.com under Steering. The following papers will assist you if you need to disassemble the column.

Tilt & Telescoping 77-82 Steering Wheel & Horn Parts (Picture of the wheel, horn mechanism, and telescoping hardware)
Tilt & Telescoping Column Blowup Pic (Good for reference)
Tilt & Telescoping Column 69-82 Disassembly & Repair Paper #1 (Starting to disassemble the column head)
T&T Column 69-82 D&R Paper #2 (Dropping the column)
T&T Column 69-82 D&R Paper #3 (Replacing the dimmer pivot and adjusting the dimmer switch)
T&T Column 69-82 D&R Pics #1
T&T Column 69-82 D&R Pics #3
T&T Column 69-82 Installation Pics

Good luck

[Modified by Jim Shea, 3:07 PM 3/5/2003]
Old 03-05-2003, 05:44 PM
LATNC3
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Dimmer switch (Jim Shea)

cool....my dimmer does not work either. when i pull the lever towards me to activate high beams, there nothing,......no resistance....just a limp lever. !!!!

Rod
Old 03-07-2003, 01:21 AM
akvette
Advanced

Default Re: Dimmer switch (Jim Shea)

Thanks for your help! I printed out your instructions and plan on troubleshooting this weekend. :flag
Old 03-07-2003, 06:54 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Let me know how you make out and if my instructions need any changes or clarification.

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Dimmer switch

Quick Reply: Dimmer switch