C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

first coat of JB Weld is on...i hope this works

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2003, 11:18 PM
radwebster
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default first coat of JB Weld is on...i hope this works

ok guys, i got a cracked block...don't wanna go into that story again..but i got 2 about 3 inch long cracks on each side of my block. i figured it couldn't hurt to try a repair...and i got no money, so this is my only option at the moment.
anyway, i got the cracks nice and clean, and i applied the first coat of JB Weld today. i didn't have high hopes that this stuff would work, but after i got it on i'm beginning to think it might happen, and my vette could be on the road again! :D

my plan of attack is this: hit it with at least 2 more coats of jb weld tomorrow, and then use a coolant system sealer that contains a lot silver to hole up any tiny leaks if the weld doesn't cover perfectly. i've been feelin good all day, thinkin that this might actually work! i only need this engine to last for about 5 or 6 months more, as a 427 will be located in that engine bay after that.

lemme know what you guys think about this, and if there is anything else i should do. oh yea, i don't plan on beating on this engine at all when/if it gets fixed, as i do not want to spring a leak on the roads. so, if anyone thinks i should do something differently or add another step, please let me know. thanks all, and keep on truckin! uh...wrong forum, sorry :jester
Old 03-04-2003, 11:47 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: first coat of JB Weld is on...i hope this works (radwebster)

I have never seen it used on an engine. Let us know how it does. Its amazed me so far.
Old 03-04-2003, 11:51 PM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

Honestly, I think your wasting your time. Hope it works but really, your better off getting a cheap used engine from the junkyard or that guy in town with the camaros parked out back. You can get a running chev small block very cheap if you just want something that will propel your car.

Larry
Old 03-04-2003, 11:57 PM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

You should fill the bottom of the block cooling passages up with block hard also. Doesn't hurt cooling as most of the heat is on the top and makes the block a lot stronger.
Old 03-05-2003, 12:01 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Hey, what have you got to loose? If it doesn't work you have wasted a little effort and perhaps made a mess... :( If it does work you gain entry into the Bubba Hall of Fame! :lol: MJ
Old 03-05-2003, 12:01 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

The JB will more then likely work on the outside of the crack and seal it up real nice. But what about on the inside, where does the crack go? Could it be cracked into the cylinder wall? The crack on the outside could just be the tip of the iceburg.

tom...
Old 03-05-2003, 12:54 AM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: first coat of JB Weld is on...i hope this works (Tom73)

I think his cracks are on the outside of the water passages. Like I said, I have never seen Just for Bubba (JB) Weld work in a high heat application.
Old 03-05-2003, 04:36 AM
Turbo-Jet
Melting Slicks

Default Re: first coat of JB Weld is on...i hope this works (Tom73)

The JB will more then likely work on the outside of the crack and seal it up real nice. But what about on the inside, where does the crack go? Could it be cracked into the cylinder wall? The crack on the outside could just be the tip of the iceburg.

tom...
:skep: k-factor, stress intensity… eek. good luck, but don’t plan any road trips… :p
Old 03-05-2003, 05:32 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would leave the JB weld and sealer for what they are and go on ebay and buy the moroso block filler or email automotive_eng@yahoo.com (that's the guy selling it) maybe he's close to you

Just level the block with the deck horizontal and fill up to the bottom of front plug, use a glass breaker hone after it has cured, re ring and hope it stays alive

Marck

[Modified by Twin_Turbo, 5:22 AM 3/5/2003]
Old 03-05-2003, 07:00 AM
90 droptop
Melting Slicks

Default Re: first coat of JB Weld is on...i hope this works (Twin_Turbo)

You could most likely find a block for free if you look hard enough, there have only been about a billion made.
Old 03-05-2003, 07:07 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: first coat of JB Weld is on...i hope this works (90 droptop)

Ok guys,im a firm believer of jb weld,ive used it in cases were we cracked the block,right between both freeze plugs ,we didnt have time to change it before the race(long story) so we jbwelded it and it worked fine,When your stuck it works,but if you can get a block later on i would.
Old 03-05-2003, 07:43 AM
ram82fire
Burning Brakes

Default Re: first coat of JB Weld is on...i hope this works (patsnitrovette)

Old geezer saying ,,,,,,, nothing ventured nothing gained ! Go for it and good luck , If I recall you said the cracks were located near the deck surface . Perhaps you could also install a 160 stat or remove it all together . Happy :steering:

George
Old 03-05-2003, 07:45 AM
ram82fire
Burning Brakes

Default Re: first coat of JB Weld is on...i hope this works (patsnitrovette)

Old geezer saying ,,,,,,, nothing ventured nothing gained ! Go for it and good luck , If I recall you said the cracks were located near the deck surface . Perhaps you could also install a 160 stat or remove it all together . Happy :steering:

George :iagree:
Old 03-05-2003, 08:09 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 741 Likes on 518 Posts

Default Re: first coat of JB Weld is on...i hope this works (ram82fire)

A friend used JB Weld on an alumimun intake that had an EGR passage and his 400HP small block didn't use EGR so he took a piece of metal screen and covered the EGR hole with the screen and put JB Weld over the screen to block the passage. We were hauling butt one night and the engine went POP BLLLaaaaaaBlaaaaaa like a huge exhaust leak. We pulled over and popped the hood. After looking at the exhaust system for 20 minutes he took off the air cleaner and found the the EGR plug he made was gone. It totally blew off. We found the piece and the JB weld held up good but the manifold let loose under the JB Weld. The aluminum broke around the EGR passage :eek: :eek: Pretty good stuff.
John
Old 03-05-2003, 08:30 AM
Disco_Mike
Race Director

Default Re: first coat of JB Weld is on...i hope this works (71,454,4spd)

im my old 88 S10 pick up, I lost the catalytic converter filler plug one day. 1000s of little ceramic marbles all over the road. I bought the replacement metal plug. JB welded it in. didnt seal all the way but held up just fine. I put a little body putty over the seams to fill the leaks. works great.
you can use body putty also on top of the JB weld. I have used it on my dirt track race car with a cracked header. Holds up just fine.
Old 03-05-2003, 08:45 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: first coat of JB Weld is on...i hope this works (theandies)

On a friend's non Chevy there was a long crack about 6" or more in the ex. manifold making for a major leak. Before getting another we decided to give JB Weld a shot at it figuring the odds were minimal. Wirebrushed & cleaned out & tried JB Weld. It worked!
Old 03-05-2003, 10:56 AM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Used it a lot on marine blocks (corrosion) and it worked well. Someone freeze a block? :nono: :D

I'd definitely lower the pressure rating of the cooling system as well. Then get going on that new engine!

Hans

Get notified of new replies

To first coat of JB Weld is on...i hope this works

Old 03-05-2003, 11:19 AM
77Dream
Drifting

Well, depending on where the crack is they make block sealer that will pour into your coolant or oil. I have used this stuff in the past and it worked for years. I had a creack between 2 freeze plugs so I pourd a bottle of the stuff in my coolant and ran it for awhile. Then I drained the coolant and did the proccess over again. I worked like charm. You can pick the stuff up at any AutoZone, Kregen or whatever.
Old 03-05-2003, 02:02 PM
Tominator
Drifting

Liquid Glass will work, it's a trick a guy that repairs/restores antique tractors taught me. Sometimes they couldn't get blocks and this is what they used.

I did a v6 with it before and it worked. Anyway you pour it in you radiator and let the car run till it gets warmed up and shut it off then flush the radiator.

How it works is once it comes out the crack the air drys it and it seals the block. By the way you buy it at a pharmacy store.
Old 03-05-2003, 03:37 PM
bn7035
Racer

It will work, however if you don't get it real clean it will seep a little. I would drill a small hole at the end of each crack to prevent the crack from growing.

Quick Reply: first coat of JB Weld is on...i hope this works