C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

?? about Hardtop hardware for 70

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2003, 10:15 PM
ultimix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ?? about Hardtop hardware for 70

Getting my hardtop ready for my new 70 and there is a metal piece (bracket) on the rear in the center that looks like its suppose to bolt down to the center on the deck lid - there is NO rubber on it and it will no doubt scratch the deck lid. What is suppose to go over it etc.. and what is it called. Its really hard finding out what to order and what all the little parts are called.

thanks for the help!

Mark
Old 03-05-2003, 09:06 AM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 257 Posts

Default Re: ?? about Hardtop hardware for 70

Mark,

The hardtop option for the 1968-1975 Corvettes went through several minor changes over the years that it was available. One of those changes was the addition of a bracket/bolt to hold the rear of the top more securely to the deck lid. If I'm following your post correctly, this sounds like what you are describing. In addition to the bracket on the top itself, the deck lid had a hole drilled in this location and the paint was protected with a circular trim piece slightly larger than the hole (I want to say that it is chrome, but it may be polished stainless steel... In any case, the finish is relatively bright). A bolt passed through both the bracket and the decklid to secure the two assemblies.

The big question is when this change occurred... Many believe it was late in the 1969 model year, but I'm not so sure. I have seen two original cars built very late in production (serial numbers in the 38,### range) that did NOT have the center hold down, but were originally equipped with hardtops. I can tell you that early in the 1970 model year, the center hold down provision was in place.

There are several solutions to your problem... You can drill the hole and install the trim piece as the factory did. The parts are listed in the AIM and are available through used and aftermarket parts sources. Another option is to find a top without the center hold down provision. This may not be so easy as nice hardtops are hard to find. Finally, you can remove the bracket, although my guess is that physical removal will destroy the bracket in the process... Check the AIM as I'm a bit unclear on this.

I have a couple of questions for you...

Was the car originally equipped with a hardtop... Is there any documentation supporting a factory installation or any evidence on the car that might indicate a factory installed hardtop?

Was this particular top purchased after the fact or was it originally installed on the car? I wouldn't put it above GM to install a later design top and forget to provide for the necessary attaching hardware although this scenario is unlikely.

Where does your car fall in 1970 production?

Answers to these questions might help in determining the actual serial number range that this bracket was sequenced into production.

I hope this post was at least somewhat helpful Mark.

Regards,
Old 03-06-2003, 09:07 AM
ultimix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: ?? about Hardtop hardware for 70 (ultimix)

Thanks for the response - I have to run out of town til Sat. I will post the answers to your questions then, cool.

I called Corvette Central and they had NO idea what I was talking about and that NO ONE has ever asked for that part....

I will talk with you on Sat

thanks again

Mark

Get notified of new replies

To ?? about Hardtop hardware for 70

Quick Reply: ?? about Hardtop hardware for 70