C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another question about rear end noise??

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2003, 05:42 PM
Andrew
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Default Another question about rear end noise??

I've noticed lately that there is a high pitch whine coming from the rear end. It only happens when decelerating between 55 and 45 mph. While it is making this noise, if the accelerator is pushed, the noise immediately goes away. Any faster or slower, there is no noise. There is not any vibration. Guys, I am puzzled about this one.
Old 03-04-2003, 06:07 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 510 Likes on 310 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Default Re: Another question about rear end noise?? (Andrew)

The whine is from the posi unit in the rear end, the gears therein. Change the fluid and add the right amount of Posi-oil additive from General Motors and it could go away. If it's only a minor noise I'd forget about it. A lot of posi rear ends make a little noise. :steering:
Old 03-04-2003, 07:29 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: Another question about rear end noise?? (killain)

Whines are caused by pinion gears being out of adjustment. You didnt say what year, but this is prominent in the mid 70s to early 80s rears. The general did a poor job setting them up and there are a lot of wear issues also. First you should check the pinion for end play, which sometimes developes with wear or the nut loosening up. Bearing wear is a possible casuse of the pinion whine, but anything further will require dissasembly and proper set up, if the gears are still OK.
Old 03-05-2003, 09:19 AM
Andrew
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Default Re: Another question about rear end noise?? (wombvette)

Thanks for the advice! I'll start with getting new posi lube. If this doesn't work, then I'll look at the rear pinion adjustment. That doesn't sound easy. Thanks again!! :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Another question about rear end noise??

Quick Reply: Another question about rear end noise??