C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should I buy these motors?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2003, 04:50 PM
JJ Deuce
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default should I buy these motors?

My dad has a buddy with two small blocks (350 ci) that I can pickup for $100. They're both four bolt mains, and one is complete, the other is a short block. They've been sitting outside his shop for a while (a long while - he's a f*rd guy). I'm figuring that two blocks alone would be worth the c-note, and aside from the heads, maybe the cranks, that's really all that will be useable anyway. any advice?
Old 03-04-2003, 04:52 PM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Re: should I buy these motors? (Jeff 6T9)

Dunno, how hard are you on engines? It'll cost ya another $100 or so to have 'em cleaned and mag checked. If they're ok you got a good base for a couple replacement short blocks.
Old 03-04-2003, 04:59 PM
JJ Deuce
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: should I buy these motors? (MasterDave)

this gets better - my dad just called me and said the guy said I can have them both for 100, plus the guy is throwing in two 305s. four motors for $100 sounds pretty good.
Old 03-04-2003, 05:13 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 143 Likes on 126 Posts

Sure may as well get them..Sounds Cheap to me
Old 03-04-2003, 05:24 PM
Burgundy 69
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd take a few minutes and pull the heads off to verify that the blocks haven't been ruined sitting outside. Last year I purchased a complete 69 350-350 block (carb to oil pan, water pump to fly wheel) which had been "sitting for a while" for $500. After pulling the heads off, my machinist called and said that the engine looked as though it had been underwater for a year and everything was junk. In fact, he said it was the worst example of an engine he had ever seen! Not what I wanted to hear. Fortunately, I was able to return it and get my money back. In fact, the guy gave me the intake manifold for my troubles.

That said, they may be great blocks and you got yourself a deal.

Buyer beware!

Mark

Get notified of new replies

To should I buy these motors?

Quick Reply: should I buy these motors?