C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sometimes I hate coming across good deals

Old 03-04-2003, 12:48 PM
RCB69L36
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sometimes I hate coming across good deals

I found a place close to me that is parting out over 45 cars right now. He has a rolling chasis for a 69 automatic for 2800. He says the frame is in excellent condition, but would need coating and painting. Problem is, I only have 1 garage bay and I'm in the process of selling my home, so I really don't want to start a frame off until I move.

Doesn't have brake calipers, but comes with suspension parts. He also said I could exchange my existing frame for just his frame for $2000, but again, I'm not in a position to start the project until I move.

Dilemmas, dilemmas.

:banghead:
Old 03-04-2003, 12:58 PM
RCB69L36
Drifting

Default Re: Sometimes I hate coming across good deals (RCB69L36)

By the way, is there anything different on an automatic frame vs. a manual frame?

Thanks.
Old 03-04-2003, 01:02 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The automatic frame has a removable cross member and the manual has a welded in cross member.
The removable is more desirable for future transmission removal and replacement.
Old 03-04-2003, 01:13 PM
LT-1 Larry
Instructor

Quote:

"By the way, is there anything different on an automatic frame vs. a manual frame?"

Yessiree. The center crossmember on a manual frame is welded in, where it is removable on an automatic. Makes tranny removal a ton easier. I actually modified mine to use a bolt-in member when I installed a
Richmond 5-speed. If you use an automatic frame for a manual car, you'll also need to add the bracket that holds the outboard end of the cross-tube of the clutch linkage. I think several of the Doc Rebuild/Last Detail/Zip type places sell both a weld-on and bolt-on version of this bracket. However, it seems like your biggest problem is one we all share: time to devote to the second best thing in life - rebuilding the 'vette.

Get notified of new replies

To Sometimes I hate coming across good deals

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sometimes I hate coming across good deals