C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy or Rebuild Rear

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2003, 12:39 PM
Koz

Default Buy or Rebuild Rear

I was talking to the guy who's going to fix the leak in my rear. I asked him about the bearings, clutch pack, etc.. He said he would take a look at it but since it's out of the car it's harder to tell if they need replacing.. said I might need yokes too and started talking about buying a complete already rebuilt unit for possibly less money.. He said he would take a look at it and see what he could tell before taking it apart to give me an idea what I'm up against.

Mid America has them for $799 :eek: with my choice of gears.. What have others done? I don't have the knowledge of doing it myself so do/did most of you replace it with a total rebuilt or have someone rebuild what you had? I'm looking for any directions here.. Thanks..
Old 03-04-2003, 12:47 PM
Neo Fender
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Buy or Rebuild Rear (Koz)

I'd look at Bairs or Van Steel. Their prices start at $495. I'm sure Mid-America subcontracts their work out to a vendor and I wouldn't be surprised if it were one of the above.
Old 03-04-2003, 12:56 PM
Lt1er
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Buy or Rebuild Rear (Neo Fender)

Mid-America is a middle man operation. The rearend prices are exchange and i'd read the fine print if they really include yokes. As for gearing change. I have a 4 speed and I like my 3.55 gearing.
Old 03-04-2003, 02:54 PM
Koz

Default Re: Buy or Rebuild Rear (Lt1er)

Thanks for the heads up. Mid America show a rebuilt for $799 but it doesn't include the side yokes.

I spoke to Bairs and Van Steel. Bairs was about $50 cheaper. Bairs is $495 plus $249 for new ring and Pinion(3.55).. $98 for yokes if I need them.. Van Steel is $545.99 plus $255 for gears and $134 and $119 for yokes. Shipping about the same. So $744 for rebuilt rear and new gears from Bairs.

Old 03-04-2003, 02:59 PM
Koz

It never ends. I called up Mid America just to make sure. The guy said it comes ready to install. I asked about the missing side yokes. He said I have to remove my old ones before sending it to him.. He said it's as easy as removing the c clips in the center and sliding out the yokes.. Is that right? No special tools? I told him it was leaking at the yokes so he said to just replace the seals. $34 a pair. and he said they just pop in. Has anyone done this? is it really that easy? I'm looking at spending $35 or $800.. :crazy: Mid America said the only time people replace the entire rear is when it breaks and your not moving..or want bigger gears.. I just wanted to stop leaking.. will do bigger gears if I have to replace them anyway but I could bette spend the difference on the Swingarms... Any input on the seal replacement?
Old 03-04-2003, 03:13 PM
FeedVaal
Burning Brakes

Yeah it can be that simple. Once you have it open you'll be able to see if the yokes are worn enough to merit replacement or if the gears are in sad shape. A whole new unit would be nice but not necessary in most cases (pun intended).
Old 03-04-2003, 03:22 PM
Lt1er
Drifting

I'm not up on the aluminum rearend in your car. But the stock yokes are made of soft metal. They ware down and it's the metal powder in the oil that destroys the seals. Putting in new seals is like putting gum in the crack of the dam. It's just a temporary fix.

What you need to do is pull the rearend. Which is not a big deal with two people. Take the rear cover off and see what's up. If your yokes are worn down near the C-Clips it's going to need a full rebuild. The repair book gives some length figure.

You might be able to flush it out, install new yokes and seals. It really depends on how much and how long the metal has been in the oil.

Get notified of new replies

To Buy or Rebuild Rear

Quick Reply: Buy or Rebuild Rear