C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auburn or Eaton???

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2003, 06:25 AM
nastee383
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Auburn or Eaton???

What posi unit do you all recommend for mild abuse in a C3, Auburn, Eaton, or stick with the OE? I'm considering a new posi since everything is disassembled. I don't have big horsepower numbers but it runs quick and has broken a u-joint, an axle and stripped part of a ring gear. All suggestions are welcomed!
Old 03-04-2003, 06:58 AM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Auburn or Eaton??? (nastee383)

I'm not sure which one is conical, but the conical style may not be rebuildable. Something you may want to consider when shopping ;) .
Old 03-04-2003, 07:36 AM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Re: Auburn or Eaton??? (nastee383)

The factory rear is an Eaton. The Auburn is a light-duty cone clutch differential. It's O.K. for everyday street driving but if you're making good power, have good traction and like to "use" the car, the Auburn will not last long. The Auburn is cheaper, though.

I would just get the stock rear tuned up with a rebuild. Unless there are problems with the case (cracking, pinion shaft holes wallowed out, burned bearing surfaces) there is nothing to gain by replacing the thing.

Get notified of new replies

To Auburn or Eaton???

Quick Reply: Auburn or Eaton???