C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Studs Revisited

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2003, 10:10 PM
rickc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Studs Revisited

I read several archived posts about the infamous rear wheel stud that cannot be replaced without pulling the spindle. Some noted the spindle could be pulled out about 1/4 inch to squeeze the stud in from the back. Others have cut holes in their backing plate.

Has anyone tried using a shorter stud? If so, did it work and what size will fit. I only need to replace one. Please tell me how this can be done without pulling the spindle or cutting the dust plate.

Thanks,

Rick :banghead:
Old 03-04-2003, 02:28 AM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Wheel Studs Revisited (rickc)

I went so far as to try a 3/4 inch shorter stud without being able to do it on my '79. As you've noted though some people have been able to get the full length studs in without problems. I've wondered if those people didn't have backing plates that had been modified prior to them owning the car. Kind of short sighted of GM if you ask me.
Old 03-04-2003, 07:51 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't run backing plates anymore and can easily replace a 3 inch stud. On the drivers side I replace the stud at 9 oclock. No that is not a time put a position. In this position I am able to punch the old stud out and reinstall a new 3 X 1/2 inch stud. Maybe a slight modification of the backing plate would allow this. This is the only position where other then the backing plate the stud is replaceable.
On the passengers side it would be 3 oclock.
Good luck.
I made a drill fixture and redrilled all my studs for the longer and heavier 3 x 1/2 inch studs and did all of them on the car.
I also run the open end lug nuts where they are fulled threaded all the way through.
Old 03-04-2003, 04:46 PM
The Dude
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definite maybe.

I hear some cars came with dust shields relieved so that studs could be R&R-ed. Others didn't. I have no clue as to the year(s) involved.

However, if yours isn't relieved, your choices are to cut/drill a hole into the dust shield or remove the spindle to get the dust shield off. Sorry. Even the short ones won't come out. (At elast they wouldn't on my car.)

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel Studs Revisited

Quick Reply: Wheel Studs Revisited